Temporary I-551 stamp on passport, Applied for I-90

Usha pareek

I have entered the states on SB1 Visa and applied for I-90 as my GC was expired. USCIS office stamped a temp I-551 stamp on passport which is valid for year (Expiring in sept 2020). The I-90 Notice receipt shows 10 months waiting period. Please suggest how the new executive order can affect my situation?
Will Green card processing will be delayed by 60 day? Shoudl I get another stamp for USCIS if I dont get GC bySept 2020 in the mail?

You are a permanent resident and your status is not affected. If the I-90 is still pending when the stamp is close to expiring, you can get another I-551 stamp.

Thank you for the response. Please suggest can I get a new I-551 stamp on passport in May 2020 (old stamp expiring in Sept 2020) given the chaotic COVID-19 situation?
Also How should one proceed if I-551 is expired and there is no renewal I-551 stamp on passport due to situation beyond some one's control? Can I file some petition with USCIS for this particular matter? How to proceed? Please suggest.

Thank you for the response. Please suggest can I get a new I-551 stamp on passport in May 2020 (old stamp expiring in Sept 2020) given the chaotic COVID-19 situation?
Also How should one proceed if I-551 is expired and there is no renewal I-551 stamp on passport due to situation beyond some one's control? Can I file some petition with USCIS for this particular matter? How to proceed? Please suggest.

Permanent resident status DOES NOT go away when the green card or stamp expires. You only need the stamp to re-enter US if your green card is expired. Since there is a virtual lockdown, it’s unlikely that you will travel before the offices re-open so the stamp is unnecessary. If you need to work, you can use your Drivers license and unrestricted social security card for I-9 purposes. The stamp and GC isn’t required.

Thanks you for your response. I have state issued ID and this ID is valid only till Sept 2020. The validity was based on the duration of temp I-551 stamp. I have unrestricted Social Security card. Please suggest can I use these for I-9 verfication?

Thanks you for your response. I have state issued ID and this ID is valid only till Sept 2020. The validity was based on the duration of temp I-551 stamp. I have unrestricted Social Security card. Please suggest can I use these for I-9 verfication?

You need an unexpired Drivers license or state ID along with the SSN for I-9 (List B and C) In the alternative you can use a foreign passport with the I-551 stamp or the immigrant visa (List A). Since they are still valid, you can use it if you get a job now. I suggest that you wait until around mid-august. By that time, you should hopefully have your GC. If not, call USCIS and get infopass for another stamp. I’m hoping that by August the offices should be open. I wouldn’t worry too much...you are a permanent resident so your ability to work does not expire (unlike EADs).

Thank you for providing this valuable information! I will try to renew I-551 stamp once USCIS field offices are open. If due to COVID-19 situtation field offices are not open, can I file online petition to extend temp I-551 stamp?
Also please suggest USCIS site confirming this information that as a permanent resident, the ability to work does not expire unlike EADs.

No, the I-551 stamp is an ink stamp they physically stamp onto a page of your passport. So it needs to be done in person.

What state are you in? Do they really limit driver's license validity of green card holders to the expiration date of the document? Does your state have driver's licenses that don't require legal presence documents?

Hi,
Please help me understand my status after the Presidential proclamation of April 2020 suspending immigrants to the USA.
My family and I got DV VISAs and Alien numbers on February 20, and registered with the USCIS in March 2020 for the Green Card. When we were about to travel to the USA, the travel ban was effected due to Covid19, and shortly after, the suspension on immigration.
Does this mean that we cannot enter the USA after the travel ban is lifted?
We need to know!
Douglas.

Hi,
Please help me understand my status after the Presidential proclamation of April 2020 suspending immigrants to the USA.
My family and I got DV VISAs and Alien numbers on February 20, and registered with the USCIS in March 2020 for the Green Card. When we were about to travel to the USA, the travel ban was effected due to Covid19, and shortly after, the suspension on immigration.
Does this mean that we cannot enter the USA after the travel ban is lifted?
We need to know!
Douglas.
Please start a new thread. Trump's proclamation does not apply to anyone who already has an immigrant visa valid on the effective date of the proclamation (April 23, 2020). There are no restrictions on your entry to the US now unless you have been to Mainland China, Iran, the Schengen Area, the UK, or Ireland within the last 14 days.

Also please suggest USCIS site confirming this information that as a permanent resident, the ability to work does not expire unlike EADs.

Permanent resident status is PERMANENT until lost or rescinded. Green card is merely a document showing the status and hence has to be renewed similar to a passport. From the USCIS website:

Once you become a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder), you maintain permanent resident status until you:
  • Apply for and complete the naturalization process; or
  • Lose or abandon your status.