TD Visa for Non-Canadian Spouse

TNStatusHolder

Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian citizen who is moving to the US on a TN status. My wife, who is a non-Canadian citizen, non-Canadian PR, is a Pakistani citizen, back in Pakistan completing her degree. I am planning on applying for her Canadian PR soon, but the application process is about 1 year.

Can she come to the US on a TD status/visa with me? How hard will it be to get her TD visa/status approved from a US consulate in Pakistan/neighboring countries? I have heard it may be difficult to prove her ties as she doesn't have Canadian PR and I will have a hard time proving her ties in the scenario I am laid off and have to return back to Canada, and she will have to return back to Pakistan.

If anyone's gone through this process, please chime in. If you have not but have good knowledge on the subject, please comment. Any advice and help is appreciated.

She simply needs to contact the Consulate/Embassy in Pakistan. She does not have to prove any "ties"; on TD she is allowed to live in US. If you lose your job, she will simply have to leave US (they don't care where she goes thereafter).

Get you TN and send her a copy of the I-94, and she can go to a visa interview with this and your marriage certificate.

It is done all the time.

She simply needs to contact the Consulate/Embassy in Pakistan. She does not have to prove any "ties"; on TD she is allowed to live in US. If you lose your job, she will simply have to leave US (they don't care where she goes thereafter).

Get you TN and send her a copy of the I-94, and she can go to a visa interview with this and your marriage certificate.

It is done all the time.
Thank you very much! One last question - as my wife is currently completing a degree from Pakistan and won't be coming to the US with me at this time - does it matter if I apply for her TD visa at a later time vs now? I am hoping to apply for her TD visa in a years time (preferably by the time her Canadian PR comes). Would that be a problem?

Her CDn status is not important in getting TD. She should get one as soon as she can, since we do not know the future and how simple/hard it will be later. It will be issued to match the length of your TN in any event.

Get it done.

Her CDn status is not important in getting TD. She should get one as soon as she can, since we do not know the future and how simple/hard it will be later. It will be issued to match the length of your TN in any event.

Get it done.
Hi @TNStatusHolder,

How was your wife experience for TD Visa? I am in similar situation, it would be great if you share your experience or any learnings.

Anything special due to covid?

Thanks

Hi TN Status holder, I am in a similar situation like you were, I am a Canadian Citizen with a TN Visa to work in US directly from the employer, my wife is a Pakistani Citizen, non PR card holder, Non Canadian Citizen. What's the quickest way to have her join me in the United States? Any insight, advice is appreciated.

Thank you very much! One last question - as my wife is currently completing a degree from Pakistan and won't be coming to the US with me at this time - does it matter if I apply for her TD visa at a later time vs now? I am hoping to apply for her TD visa in a years time (preferably by the time her Canadian PR comes). Would that be a problem?
Hi @TNStatusHolder @stardust @Sthaeem

I am in similar situation where I am a TN visa holder (Canadian) and my Pakistani (spouse) need to apply for TD visa. Would you please advise and share experiences of your spouse's TD visa from Pakistan?