TD visa extension

fromtitan

I am working on TN visa and recently I change my employer and got a new TN visa.
My family are Canadians and on TD with the old employer TN that is expiring in two months.

In the COVID time, can we drive to POE in Detroit and get the TD visa extension to match my current TN expiry date? or should we fill I-539 application?
I would appreciate your comments.

It is up to you. Whichever you feel more comfortable with. Realize that the mail-in will take many months (which is fine, they will be in pending status). You may find that after you file, and pay for I-539 and are waiting, you may end up going to Canada in any event for some other reason, and get the TDs at the border.

Personally, unless it is a couple of hour trip, I would minimize travel and file I-539, before current expiry

Would they be affected by the fact that entry to the US on the land borders is restricted to essential travel?

Getting their legal documentation is essential travel. Besides, a returning US resident is allowed into US by land anytime.

As always thanks Nelsona for the comments.
We are in Indiana and just few hours from the Detroit POE. We would drive there to extend the TD.