TD Visa- Education

sp1976

Registered Users (C)
(A) Can TD Visa holder dependent go to the University OR College OR Community College OR Online degree courses and study "Credited" courses to complete US Bachelors degree.

I have asked the above to CBP Officer while entering US for 4 times- each time officer had different answer and NO CLARITY.

1) Yes on TD they can study but only courses or certificates -NON DEGREE only, for e.g. few week courses cooking, dancing, arts, computer, etc.
2) " I think they can study anything, not sure, ask a lawyer"
3) Yes they can do any course work and with any institution
4) Maybe not in University but Community College..ok

Even Univ / College International Admissions people are NOT sure of TD visa..they only know "like parrot" " IF you are on H, E or L, you can study"

(B) Can a one year certificate (Health Sciences) from Comm. College and three years of Bach. degree (foreign univ- recognized in US) be sufficient to get TN Visa in Sci. Tech./Technologist category

Thanks

If you asked four different CBP officers and received four different answers how do you expect an internet forum like this one to give you a definitive answer?
I can say my spouse did attend university courses and received a certificate while on TD status without any issues.
Please note, most states, like California, will charge "out of state" tuition fees to students on TD status regardless of time spent in the state.
Obtaining a four year degree can be very expensive if you are considered "out of state".
As I understand, anyone on TD status can attend any college, university or online degree courses to complete a US Bachelors degree but what do I know....

I can say my spouse did attend university courses and received a certificate while on TD status without any issues.
Please note, most states, like California, will charge "out of state" tuition fees to students on TD status regardless of time spent in the state.

Generally all colleges will treat anyone who is not a citozen or green card holder as “international”. This not only raises costs for those attending a public university as they are deemed out of state, but also affects the funding you are eligible for, and makes it harder to get accepted if you are aiming at a highly selective university.

Obviously, the officers questioned had no idea, and 1 and 4 pulled the answers out of their ass. Study on TN, TD, H1, H4, etc is considered "incidental" to one's primary status, so is permitted, at any level of education.

Amberleaf, of course he should expect a better answer here, and he got 4 of them. Not all immigration matters are up to opinion.