TD to F1 visa

abcd001in

Hi,

I am residing in US on TD visa, which is a dependent visa, and I need to convert or change the status from TD to F1 (student visa) for study purposes. What is the typical process? and how long does it take for USCIS to convert?

I also hold Permanent Residence card of Canada, so can I apply for a new F1 visa at US Consulate in Toronto to get it sooner than through change of status while residing in USA by applying at USCIS?

Is premium processing available for it?

Thanks,

I539 to change status is a very long process right now. Most of the processing centers are listing change to F status as from 9/10 months to over a year https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ , plus the actual timing can be very uncertain. if your home consulate is processing student visas that is almost certainly a better path to take.

Thank you. In my case, would I be eligible to apply for F1 visa in US Embassy in Toronto even with having already a TD visa ?

I don’t see why not, if you are a permanent resident of canada. Having one type of visa does not preclude you applying for another. Just be sure cbp knows which visa you are using to enter the US so that your status is correctly recorded and the correct i94 issued.

You can study on TD status. So you should be able to continue to study while a Change of Status is pending. What is the reason why you need F1 status?

You can study on TD status. So you should be able to continue to study while a Change of Status is pending. What is the reason why you need F1 status?
I need F1 status in order to obtain OPT and work after graduation in US. If i study on TD status, I won't be able to obtain work permit. If I apply at US consulate in Toronto after obtaining I-20, how long does it generally take to process?

If I apply at US consulate in Toronto after obtaining I-20, how long does it generally take to process?