TD status extension through USCIS

CDN9

Hi All

We have applied for my wife's TD extension and received receipt of notice from USICS last year (April, 2021). she received appointment for Biometric fingerprints and gave those in June 2021. After that no update from USCIS. Its more than an year, not sure due to COVID, there is so much backlog to clear in USCIS

In February this year, I got a new job and new I94, we have provide a copy of this as update to USCIS to make sure she gets her TD I94 validity matching my new I94 validity

As we filed for her extension before expiration of her TD I94 as well as I am continuing to be in TN status, hope this will not cause any issues with her filing as it exceeded more than an year timeframe and also her TD status

Posting this to see if anyone has experience dealing with this in the forum, thanks

That is an awfully long time! What types of inquiries have you made? Is it still listed as pending on the USCIS website? Is the date in line with other applications? I would make an appointment at the local DHS office to enquire.
Eventually, if her I-94 becomes an issue (eg. driver;s license) you will have to bite the bullit and go to the border.

Is your case at Nebraska, California or Potomac service center? Those 3 are showing i539 applications taking between 14.5-23 months. Even though Vermont is listed as 13 months, it’s showing the earliest you can submit a case inquiry for your filing date is November this year. Crazy backlogs.

That is an awfully long time! What types of inquiries have you made? Is it still listed as pending on the USCIS website? Is the date in line with other applications? I would make an appointment at the local DHS office to enquire.
Eventually, if her I-94 becomes an issue (eg. driver;s license) you will have to bite the bullit and go to the border.
@nelsona @SusieQQQ

Thanks
Its Vermont Service Centre. We made a case enquiry in May 2022 and we got reply that the case is within processing timeline limits and we will have to wait

She is a non Canadian so if we cross the border and go, we need visa for her to enter back.. to get a visa appointment also there is a long wait list..

Right now she is not in urgent need of drivers license.. however our concern is it’s too long and if we plan to go out of US.. she needs visa stamp on her passport to come back

I am planning to submit another case enquiry this month, also will consider going to a local DHS office as nelsona suggested

Right now she is not in urgent need of drivers license.. however our concern is it’s too long and if we plan to go out of US.. she needs visa stamp on her passport to come back
Well if she leaves she will need a visa to come back the next time anyway. Whether her Extension of Stay is approved or is still pending when she leaves has no bearing on that. Or do you mean she plans to use Automatic Revalidation to come back after a trip of less than 30 days to Canada or Mexico?

Well if she leaves she will need a visa to come back the next time anyway. Whether her Extension of Stay is approved or is still pending when she leaves has no bearing on that. Or do you mean she plans to use Automatic Revalidation to come back after a trip of less than 30 days to Canada or Mexico?

Thanks for the response. Her I 94 expired on Nov 2021, so we applied for extension 6 months in advance I.e., Apr 2021

There is no way we can use automatic revalidation here as her I 94 expired.

If we cross any border and come back.. we need her to get visa stamped which will be another long wait..

I am hoping atleast if she gets her extension.. I can book an appointment for her visa and get it done in one of the consulates in Mexico as I live and work close to southern border state .. on return she can get her I94 as well at the border ..

Thanks for the response. Her I 94 expired on Nov 2021, so we applied for extension 6 months in advance I.e., Apr 2021

There is no way we can use automatic revalidation here as her I 94 expired.

If we cross any border and come back.. we need her to get visa stamped which will be another long wait..

I am hoping atleast if she gets her extension.. I can book an appointment for her visa and get it done in one of the consulates in Mexico as I live and work close to southern border state .. on return she can get her I94 as well at the border ..
But again, my point is, I don't see any difference between her extension being approved and still pending, with respect to her process for getting a visa. Everything you said about booking an appointment for her to apply for a visa applies even if her extension is still pending.

But again, my point is, I don't see any difference between her extension being approved and still pending, with respect to her process for getting a visa. Everything you said about booking an appointment for her to apply for a visa applies even if her extension is still pending.
^ this

If you live close to the southern border why don’t you just book a visa appointment in Mexico anyway? You’ll need it at some stage regardless for travel plans whether it’s before or after the extension is approved.

Agree. However, there is a long wait to get a non-immigrant visa appointment in most of the consulates both in Canada and Mexico - running into 360 calendar days wait, here we are stuck

I checked the processing times for I-539 applications in Vermont processing center and it shows the processing is normal, 80% of the cases are taking 13 months, so we just passed through the 13 months window as our receipt date is end of April 2021

1657104031823.png

Agree. However, there is a long wait to get a non-immigrant visa appointment in most of the consulates both in Canada and Mexico - running into 360 calendar days wait, here we are stuck

I checked the processing times for I-539 applications in Vermont processing center and it shows the processing is normal, 80% of the cases are taking 13 months, so we just passed through the 13 months window as our receipt date is end of April 2021

View attachment 3613
If the wait is that long surely it’s worth making an appointment now.

If she crosses even briefly into US or Mexico without a valid I-94, then she cannot use AVR to come back.
Most Cdns like to visit canada every once and a while with their family, thus the desire to get that valid I-94.
Obviously if the trip is farther abroad, or for a longer period, AVR wouldn't apply in any case.

If she crosses even briefly into US or Mexico without a valid I-94, then she cannot use AVR to come back.
Most Cdns like to visit canada every once and a while with their family, thus the desire to get that valid I-94.
Obviously if the trip is farther abroad, or for a longer period, AVR wouldn't apply in any case.

Thanks nelsona! I will try making an appointment with local DHS office to see if they can shed us some light, obviously, it appears Vermont center backlog is much more hence this longer wait times.

To our luck, if any of the consulates opens up visa appointments, I will go that route, for now Mexico completely closed visa appointments for candidates other than Mexican nationals, this got confirmed via email, it looks like Canada is only option for staying in queue

Just want to post an update. Today, we got approval notice from USCIS for my wife's TD extension we filed. Here is the timeline:

Processing Center: Vermont

Receipt Date: April 28th 2021

Biometrics given: Jun 24th 2021

Approved on: September 23, 2022

It took almost one and half years for processing and approval.

Will see If I can get an appointment for her visa stamp on passport since she is non-Canadian citizen - not an urgent thing as we do not have any travel plans outside of US/Canada.