Tax Transcript Vs Tax Returns?

sciconf

Registered Users (C)
Should I take Tax Transcript or Tax Returns?

Are they equivalent? Is one preferred?

How much does it cost to get Tax Transcript? How long will it take?

The i/v letter does not ask for tax returns - should I still take it?

Would they have checked filing of tax returns while doing the background review?

See my response next to your questions

Should I take Tax Transcript or Tax Returns? Transcripts

Are they equivalent? Is one preferred? Transcripts are preferred

How much does it cost to get Tax Transcript? How long will it take? Free, usually less than 4-5 weeks

The i/v letter does not ask for tax returns - should I still take it? not if you have transcripts

Would they have checked filing of tax returns while doing the background review? No

If you visit an IRS office you can get the transcript in 1 or 2 hours. Maybe even less than half hour if the line is not long.

If you visit an IRS office you can get the transcript in 1 or 2 hours. Maybe even less than half hour if the line is not long.

Appreciate it.

I need it for me & spouse. We did joint filing.
Would it be one tax transcript for both of us?
If not, I go alone, will I able to get for each of us?

I need it for me & spouse. We did joint filing.
Would it be one tax transcript for both of us?
If not, I go alone, will I able to get for each of us?

One transcript will cover both of you.
From the IRS website:
"If you filed jointly with your spouse, tax account data is listed under the social security number of the primary taxpayer shown on your tax return. The primary taxpayer is the one whose name and social security number are listed first on the tax return."

The link to order transcripts is at irs.gov, first link under "Tools" called "Order a Return or Account Transcript"
You most likely want the Return Transcript.
The site says they will be delivered by mail in 5-10 days, not weeks.

One transcript will cover both of you.
From the IRS website:
"If you filed jointly with your spouse, tax account data is listed under the social security number of the primary taxpayer shown on your tax return. The primary taxpayer is the one whose name and social security number are listed first on the tax return."

The link to order transcripts is at irs.gov, first link under "Tools" called "Order a Return or Account Transcript"
You most likely want the Return Transcript.
The site says they will be delivered by mail in 5-10 days, not weeks.

It took 3 weeks for me to get it. You can request it only for the last 3 years (2008-2010). On the website you cannot even select before 2008 (only 2008-2010). I've tried the IRS automated phone number to request for 2007 and 2006, but the only thing I've got from IRS was a rejection letter saying that cannot request tax transcript for those years.

I will try to request a account transcript from my local IRS office.

It took 3 weeks for me to get it. You can request it only for the last 3 years (2008-2010). On the website you cannot even select before 2008 (only 2008-2010). I've tried the IRS automated phone number to request for 2007 and 2006, but the only thing I've got from IRS was a rejection letter saying that cannot request tax transcript for those years.

I will try to request a account transcript from my local IRS office.

How many years of return do u need to take it to the i/v?
If you get 3 transcripts, can you then take 2006 & 2007 tax returns instead?

Why Transcripts are preferred over tax returns? How many years of return do u need to take it to the i/v?
If you get 3 transcripts, can you then take 2006 & 2007 tax returns instead?

Short answer: transcripts are the official receipt record from the IRS, your own returns are not official. 5 years seems to be preferred.
See the "Documents Needed For Naturalization" item number (4) sticky thread at the top of this forum for more thoughts on this.

When I go to my interview, I will take whatever IRS transcripts I can get (2010 thru 2008) and my own returns and whatever e-file receipts I have for 2007 & 2006.
All this for something that isn't even officially requested by USCIS, sheesh! :D

Short answer: transcripts are the official receipt record from the IRS, your own returns are not official. 5 years seems to be preferred.
See the "Documents Needed For Naturalization" item number (4) sticky thread at the top of this forum for more thoughts on this.

When I go to my interview, I will take whatever IRS transcripts I can get (2010 thru 2008) and my own returns and whatever e-file receipts I have for 2007 & 2006.
All this for something that isn't even officially requested by USCIS, sheesh! :D

That's why I'm filing my 2011 tax return next week, so I can get the transcript as soon as possible. So I end up with 4 years of tax transcripts :)

Although the IRS limits the number of tax transcripts it allows you to order ONLINE to the last 3 years only, You can order transcripts from the IRS with a PAPER application for ANY years you want. I ordered the last 3 years online (2010, 2009, 2008), then I used a paper application to request the prior 2 years (2007, 2006). All transcripts arrived in the mail within two weeks.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Return Transcript or Account Transcript

Should I take Tax Transcript or Tax Returns? Transcripts

Which one: Return Transcript or Account Transcript?

Per the USCIS site: "On the day of your interview, bring certified tax returns for the last 5 years (3 years if you are married to a U.S. citizen). Certified tax transcripts may be ordered by using Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 4506-T available."

Question: On Form 4506-T there are 3 options, which one should be requested?:

a Return Transcript, which includes most of the line items of a tax return as filed with the IRS. A tax return transcript does not reflect
changes made to the account after the return is processed. Transcripts are only available for the following returns: Form 1040 series,
Form 1065, Form 1120, Form 1120A, Form 1120H, Form 1120L, and Form 1120S. Return transcripts are available for the current year
and returns processed during the prior 3 processing years. Most requests will be processed within 10 business days . . . . . .

b Account Transcript, which contains information on the financial status of the account, such as payments made on the account, penalty
assessments, and adjustments made by you or the IRS after the return was filed. Return information is limited to items such as tax liability
and estimated tax payments. Account transcripts are available for most returns. Most requests will be processed within 30 calendar days .

c Record of Account, which provides the most detailed information as it is a combination of the Return Transcript and the Account
Transcript. Available for current year and 3 prior tax years. Most requests will be processed within 30 calendar days . . . . . . .
7 Verification of Nonfiling, which is proof from the IRS that you did not file a return for the year. Current year requests are only available
after June 15th. There are no availability restrictions on prior year requests. Most requests will be processed within 10 business days .

Which one: Return Transcript or Account Transcript?

Per the USCIS site: "On the day of your interview, bring certified tax returns for the last 5 years (3 years if you are married to a U.S. citizen). Certified tax transcripts may be ordered by using Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 4506-T available."

Question: On Form 4506-T there are 3 options, which one should be requested?:

a Return Transcript, which includes . . . . . .

b Account Transcript, which contains....

c Record of Account, which provides ... .

Select Return Transcript. If you try to order it through phone line, it would give you option to go few years farther compared to what it show online.

I think, IRS transcript option has become more popular because 1) It is issued by IRS, 2) total no of pages are not more than 3-4 so overall volume is smaller. Also for most part, interviewer don't ask for it unless it is marriage based naturalization.

The i/v letter does not ask for tax returns - should I still take it?

Would they have checked filing of tax returns while doing the background review?

Are you sure you even need to provide tax return transcripts?

Generally they are only needed in the following two cases;
1) if your N-400 application is marriage-based (based on 3 years of marriage to a U.S. citizen spouse)
2) if you had extended (several months in length) foreign trips that may call into question your satisfying the continuous residency requirement.
If neither of these apply to you, you do not need to provide tax transcripts at the interview.