Tax return for J2

rathi42

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am on J2 visa and had worked in 2005. I have no idea which form (1040 NR or 1040NR EZ or any other form) I am supposed to fill in order to file my federal and state tax return.

My employer had withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes from my salary. I read that I can request the refund of these taxes from your employer. How do I get it back. On which line should I mention this amount on my tax form.

Can I claim both itemized and standard deduction.

Could anyone please share this information.

Thank You.

Try to use 1040NR-EZ if you can. The instructions for 1040NR-EZ tells you if you can use this form, or if you need to use 1040NR. You probably need to include form 8843 with your federal tax return, regardless of whether you use 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR. You can find all forms and instructions at www.irs.gov.

Regarding Social Security and Medicare taxes, that happened to me once as well. You need to get a new W-2 form from your employer where the withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes have been recategorized as regular federal income tax. That way you get your money back as overpaid federal taxes when you file your tax return.

There is no standard deduction for non-residents. You have to itemize, but it will probably not add up to that much (basically state and local income taxes and charitable donations), unless you had large unreimbursed business or medical expenses during the year.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the information. I had contacted my employer and they said that since J-2s are dependents of the primary J-1 they are not
considered in this class because their primary purpose were not to work.
They have to obtain permission from USCIS for employment authorization and
therefore, have to pay all taxes like an U.S. worker and I am not dued any refund.

What do I do now. Were you also on J2 when it happened to you.

Thanks