Taking I-94 Card during AOS Interview

Test_Forum_User

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am observing that I-94 cards from Passports are being taken away during AOS interviews by immigration officers.

Just want to request you guys to post your experience if any, related to this. Like
1) when was it taken
2) Local office where I-94 card is taken
3) When did they return.
4) What did INS officer said before taking the card.

please post so that it will help other people in the same boat to boost their confidence.

Thanks in advance,

yes. I had my interview on dec 4 2002 and the officer just asked for my passport and took I-94 ( I had 2 ) and never gave them back.
This was at arlington office.
I hope they won't ask for it when I go to get my passport stamped...

I'm not sure because I only left the states once on advance parole BEFORE they took it away on my interview..

In the process of getting the physical green card after AOS approval, you are required (the approval notice says so) to give back the I-94, EAD and AP documents. So nothing to worry about, although I have heard in a few cases, as reported here, that these were not taken back when the I-551 stamp was given or processed.
I did my adjustment in Atlanta in January 2002.

Our experience

During my AOS interview last 9/10/03 in Baltimore, the IIO took my I-94 and then cautioned me at least 3 times during the 20-minute interview that I should not leave the country until I have heard back from them. I did not get my PP stamped because I had FP issues (apparently my prints are unreadable by the machines even after 3 FPs all within one year). I had to get a police clearance. As of now, I am waiting for approval and cannot travel out of the US (well, I guess I can go out but with no assurance that I would be able to come back in!)

On the other hand, my husband got his GC last May without interview. He brought his current EAD and I-94 but the IIO who stamped his PP never asked for anything!

So I guess it sort of depends on the IIO!

(The annoying thing to me is that if I did not have the FP issues, I should have gotten my GC in May along with my husband since I'm just a derivative applicant!)