Surrendering I-94 ?? Please Advice

desiadviseeker

Registered Users (C)
I am going for my H1 B visa revalidation to Ottawa , Canada , next month (first time stamping F1 to H1) . I shall also be landing in Canada at that time and become the Permanent Resident and plan to commute from Windsor , Canada to Detroit , USA for Work. Do I have to surrender my I-94 (white copy in the passport) and or I-94 which comes in the I -797 when I cross the border (US to Canada ) ? I am asking this as I hear different views regarding this issue . Some people say that if u leave US for less than a month and got to Canada , u need not surrerder the I 94 at the border . Please Advice what exactly are the rules regarding this issue.
Thanks in advance

As per my understanding , you do not need to surrender your I-94 while going out as nobody is there to take it. Land in canada as a PR and get your H1b - revalidated and when you enter , give in the old I-94 and take the new one

Thats all

desiadviseeker, do you know if we want to stamp H1 in canda, can we get the passport in the same day, or we have wait a couple of days? Thanks.