surrender the green card.

GCman2005

Banned
It is sad that I have to surrender the green card after 8 years, because I have, for some weird reasons, be unable to get a good job USA. I have now have a good job outside USA...and I am tired of questions at POE (Which I do understand).

1. Can I apply for a visa et surrender the green card on the day I have the interview for the visa?

2. Should I make an appointment to surrender the green card and another time apply for a visa?

3. Which precaution should I take before going to the embassy?

Thanks.....

Yes, you can apply for the tourist visa the same time as you surrender the GC. Just make sure to pay the visa fee in advance if the embassy requires that.

From which country are you from? Maybe you don't even need to apply for a visa if your country participates in the Visa Waiver program.

Secondly, a question to others. OP has green card for over 8 years, that means that he might be subject to exit tax? I guess there is another form that you need to fill out at the embassy.

exit taxes??? never heard about it. Should I have to pay it up front?
I dont have any assets in usa. just few clothes, basically what you have in a room...bed, tv.. etc...
My country doesnt participate in the Visa Waiver program....I have to apply for a visa..

The exit tax Hannah is referring to is this, which applies to people renouncing citizenship and long-term permanent resident (8+ years) surrendering their green cards:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Expatriation-Tax
Expatriation on or after June 16, 2008

If you expatriated after June 16, 2008, the new IRC 877A expatriation rules apply to you if any of the following statements apply.

Your average annual net income tax for the 5 years ending before the date of expatriation or termination of residency is more than a specified amount that is adjusted for inflation ($145,000 for 2009 and 2010, $147,000 for 2011, and $151,000 for 2012).
Your net worth is $2 million or more on the date of your expatriation or termination of residency.
You fail to certify on Form 8854 that you have complied with all U.S. federal tax obligations for the 5 years preceding the date of your expatriation or termination of residency.

Given that job concerns are your reason for giving up your green card, you probably don't have or make nearly enough money to worry about it, and filing form 8854 would be your only obligation.

Note that those figures of $145,000 and up are referring to your income tax liability, not your income. If your tax liability is $145K+, you're making over $500K/year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beleive me !!!! I am so far away of the amount the link is referring to ...
should I print the form and fill it already or they ll give me the form at us embassy???
how does it work??

In a nutshell it should be just I-407 and form 8854. Both form you will have to surrender in person at a consulate along with your plastic GC. And maybe you could include your SSN and drivers licence.

Hand in your GC and form I-407 at the consulate, but form 8854 is to be sent separately to the IRS "as soon as possible" after you surrender the GC.

Don't return your SS card. Your SSN is yours for life, even if you leave the US permanently. If you have 10 years of Social Security credits you may even be able to collect SS benefits when you retire, even if you're living outside the US. However that depends on your country of citizenship and residence and the agreement your country has with the US.

Question in application for a visa b2....were u arrested?

yes, should I bring my asylum file at the interview ?

I dont have any paper to show as it was political in my home country and i ll never get such a thing.

Bring the asylum file to the interview and explain the situation.

But there may be other problems ... are you currently living in the country you escaped from to get asylum? If yes, that would raise suspicions about the validity of your original asylum claim, which could prevent you from getting the B2 visa. You'll have to show what has changed in the country since getting asylum.

Exactly......

weird a lot of people, I tell i am surrendering the green card are no dude, you cant do this you re close...
people will die to get a green card....and be us citizen....
I would love too but each situation and case is different....I cant afford the green to be taken.
My 3 kids are american....and I would like to be able to visit them later in the future....

Last edited by a moderator:
If i am not wrong when one of your child reach 21, he will be able to sponsor you for gc, maybe at that time a gc will suit you better.
Anyway best of luck, as you said, lot's people would die to get a green card and us citizenship (i am one of them ^^).

A friend is telling me to re apply for a reentry permit. explain to immigration that I have not been able to get a job in USA and I didnt want to be on welfare. that I am asking for a reentry permit for 2 years, (may be the job market situation will improve). What do you think? any advice?

I still didnt have the courage to go to the embassy and surrender the green card.

If you've spent more than a total of 4 years outside the US in the past 5 years, the reentry permit will be limited to 1 year. If you can't get a 2-year permit it doesn't help your situation much.

After carefull consideration based on many advices, I am deciding to keep my green card for one more year. Basically, everyone I spoke to advising me not to do it. May be i ll find a job in the meantime, wish me luck.

You never applied for a reentry permit in the past? Was it because of the cost, or you didn't check?

If you can, list how many days each year you've spent outside since you got your greencard. Maybe you will get a reentry permit for 2 years.

I have already asked for 2 reentry permit. Hey I am thinking of going back in usa and settle once for all.
I hope to get a job this time and a good one. Like I said I dont want to be on welfare.