Surrender Certificate rules changed July 02, 2011

Surrender Certi.. REFUND?

Govt relaxes rules for surrender of Indian passport

See new item in Times of India:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...er-of-Indian-passport/articleshow/9074747.cms

nkm-Oct23

I got my OCI last May (2010) and I had to pay $175 for surrender ceritificate :(
Not just that but they made me wait for two months after my OCI was approved and received by the consulate (from Delhi)...all they had to do is stamp my US passport and the same day they started surrender certificate rule. They just kept my OCI and US passport holding until I had to make two visits in person.

Anyways...there was a discussion on refund request with GoI, for fees ($175) already paid. Any progress on it or is it all gone?
thanks!

nkm-Oct23

I got my OCI last May (2010) and I had to pay $175 for surrender ceritificate :(
Not just that but they made me wait for two months after my OCI was approved and received by the consulate (from Delhi)...all they had to do is stamp my US passport and the same day they started surrender certificate rule. They just kept my OCI and US passport holding until I had to make two visits in person.

Anyways...there was a discussion on refund request with GoI, for fees ($175) already paid. Any progress on it or is it all gone?
thanks!

If I remember correctly from the Consulate General of India - Chicago website, they said that National Government of India will make that decision when to refund, if any, money to the people who have paid like $ 175 before the rule of $ 20 (which if you remember correctly, it was the first attempt by the Central Government of India to relax the harsh fees) , but all of us know that National Government of India is not going to refund any money once it is deposited into their account.

It all depends on when your last held active Indian Passport expired. If it expired like in 1990's, then you might be eligible to get the money, that is, if and only if, Central Government of India decides to open up their bank accounts and starts giving out money like a crazy magician.

Until, then forget about it.

I agree with super duper. Some of my relatives here had to pay additional penalty fee of $250.00 when they surrendered their Indian passport. When the rules were later changed, they made an exception to the $250.00 penalty fee and only charged if you didn't surrender the Indian passport upon acquiring US citizenship and kept the Indian passport beyond the next 3 years or months.

There's also some of my friends who paid $175.00 even if they became citizens before the July 1, 2010... There was a talk of refunds once the $20.00 fee applied. But no one has received their refunds yet. Sale ghoos khate hai...Sabhi sarkaari afsar khate hain..

I agree with super duper. Some of my relatives here had to pay additional penalty fee of $250.00 when they surrendered their Indian passport. When the rules were later changed, they made an exception to the $250.00 penalty fee and only charged if you didn't surrender the Indian passport upon acquiring US citizenship and kept the Indian passport beyond the next 3 years or months.

There's also some of my friends who paid $175.00 even if they became citizens before the July 1, 2010... There was a talk of refunds once the $20.00 fee applied. But no one has received their refunds yet. Sale ghoos khate hai...Sabhi sarkaari afsar khate hain..

Truth be told. I myself had to pay that $250, a penalty, to get my passport canceled.

So, how did I find out that I had to pay $250 for a penalty?

Well, here is what I did:

I sent my expired passport to Consulate General of India - Houston DIRECTLY ( this is before TRAVISA came into the whole processing picture ), and sent only $20 for processing fee.

I sent ONLY $20 in the beginning is because I thought since I had gotten my citizenship before June ( or July { I forget the month that they say on the consulate website } ) 01, 2010, I therefore would qualify for the $20 processing fee, but instead I missed the part that if your passport was expired BEFORE the January, 01, 2005, then you were eligible for that $ 20 for sure, and if it was anything after that, then you were doomed. To make the long story short, My passport expired on February/06/2006.

Yes, there is this grace period they mention, but Central Government of India crafted this laws such that hardly anyone would qualify for that $20 processing fee.

Only people who has their passport expired before January, 01, 2005, are eligible for this, no one else regardless what the law says in regards to the grace period.

I would urge for people that think they can get by this rule can definitely try and send their surrender certificate application to TRAVISA and see what they say, but I also would recommend that people should consult the Immigration lawyers as to what they have to say in these regards.

So, either way I was going to pay for it anyway.

Consulate General of India - Houston sent my passport along with the Surrender Application ( application had NOT turned into a certificate yet due to the fact that Houston Consulate did NOT sign and stamp on the surrender form, NOR did they stamp on the expired passport ) back to me, and they had enclosed a letter stating that I had to pay $250, plus $20 for the processing. That's a total of $270. (Mail charges are NOT even included in this amount at all ! )

So, in conclusion, we had to pay $270 for myself, $270 for my father, $270 for my mother.

Now, my younger brother did not have a passport from India, as he was endorsed on the mother's passport, so he got spared.

So, people be careful as to how you view these laws, and when applying please make sure you consult an licensed immigration lawyer, and see what they have to say, and do your own homework.

-Thanks.

Oh, by the way, the total amount of money we spent for getting our expired Indian Passport canceled, and getting the O.C.I for the entire family of four costed at the exact amount of $2010. This includes the mailing fees that Consulate General of India - Houston had asked for.

Did anyone see the Irony that previous year of 2010, and the total cost was $2010?

well, that is all.

Now, my younger brother did not have a passport from India, as he was endorsed on the mother's passport, so he got spared.

I am in same situation like your younger brother as far as travelling with name in mother's passport. I applied for Renunciation Certificate by sending mother's passport. I received the Renunciation Certificate from CGI San Francisco via Travisa Outsourcing. In the form, for passport info, I left it blank.

I am not suggesting your younger brother should apply--- but I did this just to be safe. It is illogical to surrender something which I never held (indian passport).. but since surrender certificate is required to get consular services in the future, I did this.

I am in same situation like your younger brother as far as travelling with name in mother's passport. I applied for Renunciation Certificate by sending mother's passport. I received the Renunciation Certificate from CGI San Francisco via Travisa Outsourcing. In the form, for passport info, I left it blank.

I am not suggesting your younger brother should apply--- but I did this just to be safe. It is illogical to surrender something which I never held (indian passport).. but since surrender certificate is required to get consular services in the future, I did this.

San Francisco consulate is lenient when it comes to giving surrender certificate.
Houston Consulate, on the other hand, is not so much lenient.
Anyways, O.C.I is already under process.
He, my younger brother, has renunciated his citizenship with my parents passports being canceled.

Now, we are hoping and praying that Houston Consulate does not come to bite us back saying that my younger brother has to have surrender certiticate.

It is already like 6 months since we sent in our O.C.I application to Houston Consulate.

We had applied for surrender certificate along with the O.C.I application in one big ginormous packet.

surrender certificate came back signed and stamped within one month with the Indian Passports stamped "canceled", and O.C.I was entered into the system, meaning acknowledgment date was announced on the NIC website ( O.C.I status checking website ).

O.C.I is "under process".

So, if everything goes smoothly, then I am hoping to get the O.C.I in the month of December, 2011.

We sent that big ginormous packet in the January, 2011, which if you read above had the O.C.I application for my brother, me, and both of my parents.

Acknowledgment occurred next month, or February, 2011.

Another question

Is the actual surrender required in the case of applying for a tourist visa? I ask because when I visited the consulate on 2 separate occasions, they gave me 2 different answers.