Successful CP at Montreal

Ek Punjabi

We completed our CP in Montreal on 12/14/01 at Montreal. It was a breeze. Reviewing the comments and questions/responses from SteveD, Torontorian, Eelavan were helpful in preparing for the interview.

Timings:
Company filed EB-1 application - 12/21/2000
EB-1 approved - 2/6/2001
Filed pkt3 - 8/31/2001
Answered some questions from NVC - mid October 2001
Approved for interview on 9/9/01
Interviewed at Montreal 12/14

Medicals:
We completed medicals at MDS in Toronto in July 2001 without a appointment letter. All you need is your case number. Do NOT open the results envelope.

Photos:
Take 4 photos per person for the interview. Tony\'s studio in Montreal does a good job (Can $23 per person for 4 photos)

Hotel:
We stayed at Wyndham hotel. It was an excellent choice due to proximity to Consulate (2 blocks walk), a food court at ground floor, a IGA grocery store at ground floor etc. Cost was Can $ 125 per day + $19 parking per day + taxes. Total of approx Can $ 170/day or approx. US$100/day.

Sheraton is also close by and costs about Can $ 150/day. Wyndham is a better choice though.

Interview:
I provided original documents in the first round (marriage cert, police clearance, birth certs, notarized employment letter, passports, photos and signed off my OF 230 part2 form).

I was called for an interview about an hour later. The officer suggested that my wife did not need to join the interview and could stay with our 2 kids. A gentleman in his mid 40s interveiwed for approx 7 - 10 min. Interview was a breeze. He complimented me for my achievements, asked 2 questions about my company, and 2 questions what I did at the company. He then congratulated me and asked to pay the visa issuance fee of $65 per person.

Approx. 30 min later, we were called and provided our paperwork for getting I-551 stamped in our passports at the POE. POE was Montreal Dorval airport on Sunday 12/16. The immigration officer spent about 15 min reveiweing the paperwork and then stamped our passport. No questions at all. He did inform us that we should expect to receive the green cards within 6 months.

The whole process from the time we applied for EB-1 to approval and obtaining the I-551 stamped in our passports took 51 weeks. It was a good experience. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Punjab Singh

Congratulations!

Punjab Singh,

Congratulations and good luck with your post GC life. By the way, did the visa officer have a beard? :)

Also, for medicals: did you get them done without any documentation from the consulate / NVC?

Thanks.

Congrats

Where is MDC? Can you tell us about its location etc. One more request, do we need to get police clearance from US also? as we are living in US for more than six months in addition to Canada and India.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help

Congratulation.

How many years it took for you to complet this whole Green card process. By the way while interviewing you did they ask anything about educational evaluations? Please show some light here with your information. Thanks.........

Wyndham hotel Hotel address & Phone number ?

Punjab singh, congrats to your CP success. Please provide the address and the phone # of the hotel that you. Thanks.

Punjab Singh, question for police clearance

Congrats for sucessful CP at Montreal.

Did you get police clearance from India and Canada ? Or, you had police clearance only from Canada ?
Please reply

I am a permanent resident in Canada and I am citizen of India.

Thanks in advance

Kishan Patel

GCDrone

The visa officer did not have a beard.

yes, the medicals were completed without any documentation. I did however provide them our case number.

GC Pain

It took me 51 weeks to complete the green card processing. Read my original message (Timings).

During the interview, I was not asked anout my educational evaluations. Equivalency between my Indian Bachelor degree and a Canadian Ph.D. degree was established with respective US degrees by the attorney prior to filing the H1B.

kxfamily

Wyndham hotel address and tel #

1255 rue Jeanne-Mance CP 130
Montreal Quebec H5B 1E5

514 285 1450
1 800 WYNDHAM for reservations

KrishanPatel

Yes, I obtained police clearance from India and Canada. You need to obtain police clearance from all countries that you have stayed in since you turned 16 yrs.

Consulate Address && What is US $260.00 Fee?

I have just received my packet IV today. I do not see the address of the Montreal consulate included. Would you please post it. Thanks.

Also the letter said that "the total feee for each successful visa applicant is US $325.00 (the application fee of US. $260.00 and issuance fee of U.S. $65.00)". From what I have read from the discussion group, you guys only pay US $65.00. Where is the US $260.00 coming from? My company\'s lawyer handled all the applications for me. I do not know if I really need to pay for $260.00. Anyone has an explain, please post.

Thanks.

indoamercia

I wrote the place as being MDS Executive clinic (for medicals) in Toronto downtown.

Yes, since you live in the US, yr police clearance will be completed automatically. I did not have to obtain US police clearance.

kxfamily

$260 per person is the application processing fee which is typically paid along with the pkt3. Do NOT worry. I was in the same boat as you, however, it was clarified at the consulate that I needed to pay $65 per person only.

CP process is way simpler than people believe.

Consular Processing in Canada

I have a canadian green card. Am I eligible for CP in canada or do I have to go to INDIA from where I hold my passport? Also, if I go to INDIA do I have to cancel my canadian GC before going for US GC. I appreciate any replies for the above. Thanks in advance.

CP in Canada

As a landed immigrant, you can consular process in Canada. People who have a choice between India and Canada should consider the folloiwng:

CP in Canada:
Montreal is the only consulate that provides CP services. It is an "alpha" consulate, i.e., NVC handles all the application processing. This adds a few months to the processing time. You need to send all documents with application fees ($260) in Packet 3 to NVC. On the positive side, if you are in North America, you save on travel costs and time away from work.

CP in India:
Once your case reaches NVC and a Packet 3 is generated, you can send your P3 directly to the consulate. You are not required to send all documents with P3. You can expect an interview within three months of sending P3. Since NVC is not involved, processing times are relatively shorter. If you are in North America, you have to spend money for travel and time away from work.

There have been some talks about internalizing application processing at NVC for Indian consulates as well. When this is implemented, CP in India will offer no benefit over CP in Canada.

If possible can you provide the address of MDS Executive clinic

thanks a lot for your info. Can you please provide the address, telephone number and website if any. Thanks a lot again