• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Success story! [Re: Marriage before DV interview, please help!]

fthnm2005

Registered Users (C)
Dear All and those who have been watching my thread that I posted exactly 2 months ago. That thread can be found HERE.

The result is the most pleasant news that I and my wife could ever wish for: we were both granted Diversity Immigrant Visas :)

The reason that I am posting this is that I just want to simply share my experience with you all and also with those who are in a similar situation as I was few months back.

Quick bckgnd: I won DV2010 as a single applicant while I was in the States. After receiving the 2nd NL, I arrived home to attend the DV interview. Although I and my fiancee were in a relationship for over 2 years, I never thought of including her into my DV process, because I thought I could engage her into the process later on, having only to discover shortly that I had a BIG MISUNDERSTANDING about the whole DV process. So, I panicked, because if I would get the DV alone, I would not be able to bring her to the States until after 5 years (i.e., after acquiring the citizenship).

So, we registered our marriage ASAP and I started to pray to God every day. I also posted the aformentioned thread and got very useful suggestions along with some cautinoray warnings that we can be subjected into intencse scrutiny by the consulate during the interview so that we could prove our relationship is, in fact, bona fide.

My interview was originally scheduled to the last week of March and I requested to postpone it for a later time since my marital status had changed recently. I received a kind email back from the consulate instructing me to inform them once my wife's papers are ready. We did so and meantime we scheduled our wedding too. This happened in such a short time that all of my friends in the US were in an absolute shock! Our families were in a shcok too... but everybody knew this was being done in the sake of brighter future for both of us. Anyways, back to the story now:

We got married and just a week before the wedding I sent an email to the embassy that all of our papers were in place and that we had scheduled our wedding to the first week of May and I received a date for an interview scheduled to the first week of May.

The DV interview:
First, things that were not allowed to bring along:
1) any and all electronic devices
2) any and all piece of equipment that can hold/contain information or has a memory. So the video cassettes, DVD discs, flash etc were BANNED!

So, we could not bring our wedding video, but were allowed to carry the photographs along.

The consul, a nice lady from the US, asked us whether we were in a true relationship. We both nodded: YES! Then the lady explained that she has to interview us separately so that she can be sure our relationship is the true one and assured that we will have no problems answering these questions if we are man and wife. I was asked to retire into a room and wait there until my wife is asked a set of questions. I was called and asked the same-very simple questions from everyday life of couples, like, for example, what did your husband have for a breakfast this morning, how often does he shave, what does he use for shaving, what time does your wife wake up in the morning and stuff like that.

As she realized the answers from both of us are exactly the same, she gave a pice of paper which said: YOUR VISA HAS BEEN APPROVED! Trust me, these were the most pleasent words I ever read from a piece of paper.

We were given a receipt from our DV charges and were instructed to come and collect our visas and immigrant packets few days later.

So, this is the brief history of what happened. If you are in similar situation and have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Best of the luck to all fellow DV winners!
Cheers!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations...I'm glad it worked out for you and your wife...good luck in the US. Thanks also for posting your experience I'm sure it will be great information for others in your situation..

I am so happy for you because I also get married After I won, but I get married actually directly after 2 months from applayin, so I didn't even knew at that time that I have been won, and now me and wife are waiting our interview maybe on augest or sept because my case is not current yet, really happy for you I wish you both good luck

congratulations....................................!!!

dear all and those who have been watching my thread that i posted exactly 2 months ago. That thread can be found here.

The result is the most pleasant news that i and my wife could ever wish for: We were both granted diversity immigrant visas :)

the reason that i am posting this is that i just want to simply share my experience with you all and also with those who are in a similar situation as i was few months back.

Quick bckgnd: I won dv2010 as a single applicant while i was in the states. After receiving the 2nd nl, i arrived home to attend the dv interview. Although i and my fiancee were in a relationship for over 2 years, i never thought of including her into my dv process, because i thought i could engage her into the process later on, having only to discover shortly that i had a big misunderstanding about the whole dv process. So, i panicked, because if i would get the dv alone, i would not be able to bring her to the states until after 5 years (i.e., after acquiring the citizenship).

So, we registered our marriage asap and i started to pray to god every day. I also posted the aformentioned thread and got very useful suggestions along with some cautinoray warnings that we can be subjected into intencse scrutiny by the consulate during the interview so that we could prove our relationship is, in fact, bona fide.

My interview was originally scheduled to the last week of march and i requested to postpone it for a later time since my marital status had changed recently. I received a kind email back from the consulate instructing me to inform them once my wife's papers are ready. We did so and meantime we scheduled our wedding too. This happened in such a short time that all of my friends in the us were in an absolute shock! Our families were in a shcok too... But everybody knew this was being done in the sake of brighter future for both of us. Anyways, back to the story now:

We got married and just a week before the wedding i sent an email to the embassy that all of our papers were in place and that we had scheduled our wedding to the first week of may and i received a date for an interview scheduled to the first week of may.

The dv interview:
First, things that were not allowed to bring along:
1) any and all electronic devices
2) any and all piece of equipment that can hold/contain information or has a memory. So the video cassettes, dvd discs, flash etc were banned!

So, we could not bring our wedding video, but were allowed to carry the photographs along.

The consul, a nice lady from the us, asked us whether we were in a true relationship. We both nodded: Yes! Then the lady explained that she has to interview us separately so that she can be sure our relationship is the true one and assured that we will have no problems answering these questions if we are man and wife. I was asked to retire into a room and wait there until my wife is asked a set of questions. I was called and asked the same-very simple questions from everyday life of couples, like, for example, what did your husband have for a breakfast this morning, how often does he shave, what does he use for shaving, what time does your wife wake up in the morning and stuff like that.

As she realized the answers from both of us are exactly the same, she gave a pice of paper which said: Your visa has been approved! Trust me, these were the most pleasent words i ever read from a piece of paper.

We were given a receipt from our dv charges and were instructed to come and collect our visas and immigrant packets few days later.

So, this is the brief history of what happened. If you are in similar situation and have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Best of the luck to all fellow dv winners!
Cheers!!!!

thanks to everybody for the well wishes. Wish everybody else will have successful DV process and end up in the US :)

I also got married AFTER WINNING LOTTERY - it was a non issue at the embassy - just a few question was asked - interview was over in a about 5 minutes

I also got married AFTER WINNING LOTTERY - it was a non issue at the embassy - just a few question was asked - interview was over in a about 5 minutes

Well Congrats to you also! However, I was entirely convinced that it is very hard to anticipate the kinds of questions from the consular officer, so there is NO WAY that people can trick them, if they can it would be very difficult. But for those with bona fide relationship, it certainly is no problem at all!

Well Congratulations!
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. This will definitely helpful to many others.. Cheers

My boyfriend is in Dubai and he is there since 1 year. He is there for a 3 years contract. I applied as a single, but now after getting a 1NL I want to apply with my boyfriend as a couple. But for a marriage he has to come back from Dubai but since he is there for a 3 years contract he has to resign his job for coming back. In this case its all good if we get a 2NL and get the visa. But in case I do not receive the 2NL then he has to sacrifice the job so there is a great dilemma that after getting the 2NL can I call him back and get married. So that it can be assured of getting through.

So I want to ask that,as my CN is 2010AS000017XX I think I will get my 2NL in October and my boyfriend can only come be back in October 9 so can I apply single for 2NL and after getting it, I get married and forward my husbands document to KCC.

There is one more question that I want to ask that how much chances are there that I can get through the interview after receiving the 2NL.

Seela congrats on getting your NL and such a low CN.
Since your boyfriend can only come in October and your interview may be as early as October/November then you need to be married before then. Can you go to Dubai and get married there? This will help you to send his info to KCC before you get the letter for interview (2nd NL). If you get married after receiving the 2nd NL then you must notify the embassy and present the marriage certificate at the time of interview. Once you receive the 2nd NL, KCC is out of the picture and you must deal with the embassy.

Your chances of getting through the interview depends on your readiness to present all your documents and ability to answer the questions posed to you and your husband. BTW you will more than likely need to prove that your marriage is real and that there was a relationship before, so start gathering your evidence to support this.

Good Luck!

Thank you!!!

But its impossible for me to go to Dubai. So if i get married before getting the 2NL than only il be sending his information to KCC.

yes if you get married before you receive the second NL or before an interview date is set for you then you can forward his forms and a copy of your marriage certificate to KCC so that he can be included in your case. If your number is that low then you should expect your second NL by September (last year interviews started in October for persons with case number under AS7000).

Thank you!!!

But its impossible for me to go to Dubai. So if i get married before getting the 2NL than only il be sending his information to KCC.

Best action you can do now is ask KCC to schedule your interview later. But you 2 will have to make a BIG decision.
But the nice thing is you have ample time 'cos your number is v v low !

Option 1
Make a decision NOW what date you get marry in Oct and ask KCC to schedule your intvw AFTER that. But your BF will have to spend some time in home country until the process is done, Worst thing is embassy nor KCC will NOT give you ANY guarantee how long it will take.

Option 2

Move your intvw to Dubai for may be around Nov or Dec.
Marry get a visa and move to Dubai. Make sure you get all necessary LOCAL documents before moving.
This may be the best option, if BF's job situation is not flexible.
You will have to send new DS-230 s to KCC AFTER moving if you follow this option.

in any case you will be successful for sure. Just make sure the hard decisions on your part are made well in advance. (US visa process hardly take into consideration 'personal' circumstances like time, jobs, lack of holiday leave etc. in scheduling intvws or making visa decisions)

read this for advice in your 'marriage' situation
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?310624-Marriage-before-DV-interview-please-help!

Good Luck !

Last edited by a moderator:
just add to my previous post
Me and my wife got married before the second letter arrived and I called embassy to ask what we should do now considering that I also read on the internet that we should get in touch with KCC and send the all the documents to them so they can change the paper work BUT in the embassy they told not to bother with that since KCC almost always lose or miss place the paper work sent to them so they advised that we should just bring everything to them when the date of the interview comes

btw we meet another couple in the embassy who also got married before the interview -and they been together only for about 6-7 month prior to getting first letter their interview was even shorter then ours ... they even did not ask for any kind of supporting documents related to their relationship

Seela: your bf should not resign from his job nor should you worry about your DV case. If you two can manage to get married as soon as possible, you two will be just fine! I know that there are risks depending on each individual's situations. But if I speak from my own experience, you two have whole lot better chances than me and my wife had few months back uif yoiu read the Original Post to this thread. My advice: collect as much evidence as possible (photos of you two together at different dates, winter, summer etc...) an you'll be fine. But if you are doing this for the purpose of money and your relationship is not bona fide, then they will catch you somehow...
Good luck!

Seela: your bf should not resign from his job nor should you worry about your DV case. If you two can manage to get married as soon as possible, you two will be just fine! I know that there are risks depending on each individual's situations. But if I speak from my own experience, you two have whole lot better chances than me and my wife had few months back uif yoiu read the Original Post to this thread. My advice: collect as much evidence as possible (photos of you two together at different dates, winter, summer etc...) an you'll be fine. But if you are doing this for the purpose of money and your relationship is not bona fide, then they will catch you somehow...
Good luck!

HEHEHEH MILLIONS OF PEOPLE IN THE USA COMMITS A FRAUD EVERY YEAR BY GETTING MARRIED SO THEY CAN OBTAIN US VISA AND CITIZENSHIP ...if they start to deport those peOple i suspect that USA will lose about 10% OF THE POPULATION

HEHEHEH MILLIONS OF PEOPLE IN THE USA COMMITS A FRAUD EVERY YEAR BY GETTING MARRIED SO THEY CAN OBTAIN US VISA AND CITIZENSHIP ...if they start to deport those peOple i suspect that USA will lose about 10% OF THE POPULATION

you are right, but this has nothing to do with her situation. She says that neither of them are US citizens.