Study on H4 visa after 6 years completion

gpallavi2

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I am on H4 visa which will expire in Sept 2011 since my husband will be completing 6 years on his H1B).
I am planning to do Masters course starting in Sept 2010 for 2 years on H4 visa in order to claim in state resident fee of Illinois, which fortunately Illinois state allows for H1B dependents.
But since my H4 visa is expiring in Sept 2011, I and my husband will be filing for an extension in Feb 2011 (6 months before expiry) based on our green card still in process (only I140 approved till date).
1. My question is will my H4 extension guarantee my Master completion without any disruption/gap/pause/difficulties?
2. On H4 extension (based on green card in process) will I have to pay in state or international student fee?

Thanks
Pallavi

1. My question is will my H4 extension guarantee my Master completion without any disruption/gap/pause/difficulties?
2. On H4 extension (based on green card in process) will I have to pay in state or international student fee?

Thanks
Pallavi

1. You should be ok if the H4 extension covers the whole duration of the program.

2. That depends on state law, which usually has something to deal with income made within the state and using that income to pay for your tuition. Some states exclude international students from claiming benefits, some don't. So you need to talk to your DSO and see if they have an answer for you.

In my experience, the student accounting office is usually clueless. Try the financial aid office if anything, they might know something. Good luck.