Studied abroad for two years. Can I still apply? (GC expires in couple months)

annairbkrap

I've been a permanent resident since April 2007. I studied abroad for grad school from September 2014 to September 2016. I did not obtain the re-entry permit as I thought I would be back every 6 months for holidays (my family still resides in the US.) I stayed abroad for 10-months (delayed graduation), and I didn't have a problem entering the US this October.

I returned on October 7th (about 10 months), and went on a 3-week vacation abroad again, returning on November 20th.
My green card expires in April, so I was just going to renew my green card, but I was just curious whether I can apply for citizenship.

I've been financially dependent on my parents who are US residents.

Can I apply for both? (GC renewal & citizenship)

Because of three months presence, I can apply on Feb 20., and I'm concerned that my green card would expire and that I will be denied.

Thank you very much

So for your study abroad, you stayed out for 10 months each time between Sep 2014 and Sep 2016? Or did you come back every six months (you say you thought you would stay out every six months, so I'm not sure what you mean - did it actually happen?)? It would be best if you told us the exact dates you were out.

You're worried that your green card will expire and you'll be denied the renewal? Not unless you were let back in the country erroneously after staying out for a year without a re-entry permit.

Naturalisation is a different story, but as a student studying abroad, they are likely to look upon it more favourably as opposed to someone who had worked abroad with this travel pattern.

Thank you for your reply--
I usually came back every 4-6months for summer/winter holidays except for this past summer. I did travel several times since 2011 (backpacking, etc.), but all less than a month (total duration in past five years comes around 2 years, 1 Month, & 5 days according to an online calculator.)

Sorry for the confusion, I am not sure if I should apply for Naturalization or GC renewal (expiring very soon.), or do both.
And for the three-months residency within the state, it refers to my state residency correct? (not physical presence)

Thank you very much!

Well, if you can afford the fee for naturalisation, and don't mind if you're denied, which is possible, go for naturalisation. However, you are technically also required to renew your GC as it is valid for less than 6 months. You can try to avoid that, but then there's the risk your naturalisation application will be put on hold until you apply for it, which could generally lead to delays. If you're in no hurry, you could also just renew your GC and wait a couple of years to naturalise. That way you won't be running the risk of a denial.

The 3 month residency is for that CIS district I think, technically. Check here: https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

Hi! Please, let me know what did you end up doing? I have a simiar issue except for my GC that doesn't expire soon, but I did go for a study abroad that lasted about 2 years. I was coming back to US in once a year. You response would be so much appreciated!