Stuck in name check with new rules after May '06

eo23

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

Please join this thread if you are:

1) Applied after May '06

2) Have not received an interview letter

3) Have had confirmation that your name check is pending

This thread will be dedicated to sharing updates on whether an interview letter has been received and whether one's name check has been cleared (knowing through an infopass or other means).

Please share experience.

NEW RULES: Confirmed with IO that District Offices DO NOT SCHEDULE INTERVIEWS UNTIL THE NAME CHECK HAS CLEARED STARTING MAY'06.

May 2006 or earlier than that?

I don't know about May 2006 rule. I applied in April 2006, no interview date yet due to reknown name check procedure.

3 months after priority date and got no interview letter yet. I wanna send FOIA letter to have my name check. Where should I send to ?

Based on everything I have read, I would suggest that you are worrying very prematurely. It seems as though the time between FP and Interview letter can vary (for most people) from a few weeks to several months. I personally do not intend to start vigorous follow-up (phone calls, info pass etc.) until six months after FP. Only then would I consider that I might have a "problem". I certainly do not believe that there is either (a) a precedent or (b) justification to be talking about legal action as per the other thread.

Regional office: Mesquite, Texas
Local office: San Antonio, Texas

• 28th July 06: N-400 application mailed
• 7th August 06: Resubmitted with correct check (first check based on incorrect data on USCIS web site)
• 9th August 06: Check cashed
• 14th August 06: USCIS acknowledgement with application number (17 days from first application)
• 15th August 06: Fingerprint (FP) notification (one day from acknowledgement; missed FP date due to absence from town
• 31st August 06: Request to reschedule FP
• 5th September 06: Proactive visit to the FP office as a “walk-in”: (17 days from original notice)

Lessons learned:

1. My straightforward situation has meant that the process has not been difficult. However, I might use a lawyer for complex or ambiguous situations
2. There are two dollar amounts for the N-400 fee + FP on the USCIS website. The correct total is $400.
3. Be prepared for the USCIS to operate with lightening speed. If away from town do NOT have post office hold mail but have friend/relative receive mail and check all USCIS communications.
4. In emergencies, just showing up at the FP office as a “walk-in” does work.

springbranch said:
I don't know about May 2006 rule. I applied in April 2006, no interview date yet due to reknown name check procedure.

The IO told me today that as of May '06, nobody will receive an interview unless their name checks have cleared. I don't know whether they are also acting retroactively i.e. FOR ALL APPLICANTS WHO HAVE NOT RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTERS BY MAY'06 AND HAVE APPLIED BEFORE WILL ALSO HAVE TO WAIT - that is pretty possible as well.

They are trying to avoid lawsuits, so they will do everything in their power to do so.

rwsh said:
Based on everything I have read, I would suggest that you are worrying very prematurely. It seems as though the time between FP and Interview letter can vary (for most people) from a few weeks to several months. I personally do not intend to start vigorous follow-up (phone calls, info pass etc.) until six months after FP. Only then would I consider that I might have a "problem". I certainly do not believe that there is either (a) a precedent or (b) justification to be talking about legal action as per the other thread.

• 7th August 06: Resubmitted with correct check (first check based on incorrect data on USCIS web site)
• 14th August 06: USCIS acknowledgement with application number (17 days from first application)
• 15th August 06: Fingerprint (FP) notification (one day from acknowledgement; missed FP date due to absence from town
• 5th September 06: Proactive visit to the FP office as a “walk-in”: (17 days from original notice)

Lessons learned:

1. My straightforward situation has meant that the process has not been difficult. However, I might use a lawyer for complex or ambiguous situations
2. There are two dollar amounts for the N-400 fee + FP on the USCIS website. The correct total is $400.
3. Be prepared for the USCIS to operate with lightening speed. If away from town do NOT have post office hold mail but have friend/relative receive mail and check all USCIS communications.

Ofcourse, I completely agree with you and I am going to wait and be patient. I just wanted to know whether someone knows about a certain timeframe.

thanks for starting v good thread.yes im stucking in name check
DO nyc
n400 mailed; aug 12,2006
pd; aug 15,2006
fp aug 31,2006
IL; ?????????????
stuck in name check. i called customer service and they told me tht name check is pending

N-400 @ VSC
PD: 09/16/06
Check cashed: 09/18/06
ND: 10/1/06
FP notice: 10/03/06
FD: 10/10/06
Called FBI to check on Finger print .Sent back same day
Interview ????
Oath ????

Here is my timeline

Nebraska Service Center
DO: Columbus, OH

Prority Date: 07/14/06
FP: 08/03/06
IL received: 11/18/06
ID : 01/12/07

My name check took little over 3.5 months to clear.

rwsh said:

Lessons learned:

I agree with rwsh.

Six months after FP sounds reasonable to start worrying. I would even check your DO's processing time. If they are processing cases received after your PD and you haven't heard anything,you may want to start bugging them.

Untill then, rest in peace. Let USCIS do their work and you do your's.

Thanks eo23 for starting this thread. 80% of ppl on this board who applied in 10/06 in my D/O already got their IL, so I feel left behind.

question - when you schedule infoPass online, do you select
-- You have a question about your case. or
-- You wish to speak to an immigration officer.

or doesn't matter?

my dates (D/O: NYC)
submit N400 - 8/31/06
receipt date - 9/5/06
priority date - 9/5/06
checks cashed - 9/7/06
notice date - 9/12/06
received receipt notice - 9/18/06
fp notice date - 9/14/06
received fp notice - 9/20/06
fp appointment - 9/25/06
interview- xx/xx/xx

wooying said:
Thanks eo23 for starting this thread. 80% of ppl on this board who applied in 10/06 in my D/O already got their IL, so I feel left behind.

question - when you schedule infoPass online, do you select
-- You have a question about your case. or
-- You wish to speak to an immigration officer.

or doesn't matter?

my dates (D/O: NYC)
submit N400 - 8/31/06
receipt date - 9/5/06
priority date - 9/5/06
checks cashed - 9/7/06
notice date - 9/12/06
received receipt notice - 9/18/06
fp notice date - 9/14/06
received fp notice - 9/20/06
fp appointment - 9/25/06
interview- xx/xx/xx

Hi wooying,

No problem, we needed a thread like that. Our timeline is almost spot on the same.

It doesn't matter what you say in the infopass sheet. I definitely recommend setting one up so that you could find out whats going on with your name check.

Good luck and let me know.

DO: Chicago - Nebraska Service Center

submit N400 - 8/29/06
receipt date - 8/31/06
priority date - 9/1/06
received fp notice - 9/15/06
fp appointment - 9/27/06
interview- xx/xx/xx
Oath : xx/xx/xx

EO23,

I have had an infopass in October, when I was told that they are waiting for name-check. I have another infopass on Monday (12/4). I am thinking of contacting my congressman's office after next week. Since my wife is US citizen now, I am not too worried about my citizenship.

jeevs007 said:
EO23,

I have had an infopass in October, when I was told that they are waiting for name-check. I have another infopass on Monday (12/4). I am thinking of contacting my congressman's office after next week. Since my wife is US citizen now, I am not too worried about my citizenship.

jeevs007,

That sounds like a plan. I was told by a lawyer I consulted to involve my congressman which I will probably do at the end of January or so. It is good your wife is a US citizen, it just makes your case much more stronger.

I just made an INFOPASS appt for Dec. 12, 2006.

Spoke to my congressman, Jan Schakowsky immigration liason. She said nothing could be done unless its a life or death situation!

-------------------------------------------------------
Application Received at INS (USPS Priority Mail): Sept 11, 2006
Priority Date: Sept 11, 2006
Check Cashed: Sept 12, 2006
Receipt Notice: Sept 18, 2006
Finger Notice Sent: Sept 18,2006
Scheduled Appt: 9/28/2006
Out of Town -- Re-Scheduled Appt: Oct. 7, 2006
INS Closed due to Columbus day holiday!!!
Walk in Finger Print Taken: Oct 10, 2006

FOIPA request via fax: November 29, 2006.

Interview Letter: Waiting....
Oath Date: Waiting.....

zone911 said:
I just made an INFOPASS appt for Dec. 12, 2006.

Spoke to my congressman, Jan Schakowsky immigration liason. She said nothing could be done unless its a life or death situation!

-------------------------------------------------------
Application Received at INS (USPS Priority Mail): Sept 11, 2006
Priority Date: Sept 11, 2006
Check Cashed: Sept 12, 2006
Receipt Notice: Sept 18, 2006
Finger Notice Sent: Sept 18,2006
Scheduled Appt: 9/28/2006
Out of Town -- Re-Scheduled Appt: Oct. 7, 2006
INS Closed due to Columbus day holiday!!!
Walk in Finger Print Taken: Oct 10, 2006

FOIPA request via fax: November 29, 2006.

Interview Letter: Waiting....
Oath Date: Waiting.....

Hi zone911,

Yeah the congressman/woman can't really do much but at least you would have your case frequently checked by them.

How did you do your FOIPA request? Please advise as I would like to request one as well.

Member too

I guess i'll join the club too..

NYC, VSC

8/31: Application Mailed
9/22: FP

No interview letter.

Is there any correlation between how long you've been in the US to whether you get stuck in the name check?