Strange question at POE

Bobsmyth

Volunteer Moderator
During a return flight last week from Mexico, I presented the CBP officer my US passport and custom card. What puzzled me is that the CBP officer asked if I'm a US citizen eventhough he swiped my US passport. In the back of my head I felt like answering "no, I just carry a US passport for fun". Makes me wonder the purpose of such a obvious question.

During a return flight last week from Mexico, I presented the CBP officer my US passport and custom card. What puzzled me is that the CBP officer asked if I'm a US citizen eventhough he swiped my US passport. In the back of my head I felt like answering "no, I just carry a US passport for fun". Makes me wonder the purpose of such a obvious question.

I think just his professional habit. But techinically one can have a US passport without being a US citizen but only a US national.
People born on two US territories are still not US citizens but only US nationals. I don't know why the residents on these
two US terrotories do not fight for citizenship like other US territories.

Of course I don't think the CBP officer you met want to make a disctiutin between being a citizen and a national. He just asked
as a habit

Being a US national but not a US cityizen is really a right that can only aquired by birth. It is more previledged than citizenship in that sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bobsmyth,

Same experience for my friend and neighbour, there were driving back from Canada and handed 5 US passports (whoe family) to the CPB and the officer asked what is their citizenship :) I think it is a standard question they just kinda ask everyone; like when you call telephone directory assistance and ask for the number for American Airlines and the first question thay ask " Business or Residence ?".........

Could it be that the question is asked so if the passport is fake one is guilty of 1 using a fake passport and 2 making a false claim to citizenship?

I think the officer asked this question to see how you answer it. If you paused for a second, maybe you would end up in the secondary? :)

Read this before several times. Don't know the accuracy of it but I think it could be correct.

" There is a technical distinction between a citizen of the United States and a national of the United States. All citizens of the U.S. are nationals, but all nationals are not citizens. The term national of the United States is defined in section 101(a)(22) of the INA, and explained in detail in section 308 of the INA."

What would have happened if the OP said "No" and smiled?

It is a crime for a non-citizen to claim tobe a citizen. There does not seem to be a law says it is a crime for a citizen to claim to be a non-citizen unless under oath

It is a crime for a non-citizen to claim tobe a citizen. There does not seem to be a law says it is a crime for a citizen to claim to be a non-citizen unless under oath
I'm sure it's a crime for a US citizen to lie to a CBP about his/her citizenship.

I'm sure it's a crime for a US citizen to lie to a CBP about his/her citizenship.

Charge is just "lying to a CBP". But if a non-citizen claim to be a citisen to a CBP he can be be changed under severals names - lying to a CBP and falsely claim to be a citizen etc

Read this before several times. Don't know the accuracy of it but I think it could be correct.

" There is a technical distinction between a citizen of the United States and a national of the United States. All citizens of the U.S. are nationals, but all nationals are not citizens. The term national of the United States is defined in section 101(a)(22) of the INA, and explained in detail in section 308 of the INA."
It is a correct statement. However, US national status is reserved for those born in or having ties with an outlying possession of the United States (ex:American Samoa and Swains Island.)

Charge is just "lying to a CBP". But if a non-citizen claim to be a citisen to a CBP he can be be changed under severals names - lying to a CBP and falsely claim to be a citizen etc
It's still a crime either way. However, the consequences for a non citizen are more severe.

Remember, lying to IO for any immigration benefit is considered to be a big crime.

This question could be a good trap for someone who has fake documents.
Even if the person is not detected at this instance, he can later be deported (when fake id is discovered) for lying to IO.

On the annotations page, US non-citizens nationals have an endorsement that states their non-citizenship status. If the page is empty, it means this particular person is a citizen. However, I do not think the CBP officer asked this question because of this.

Being a US national but not a US cityizen is really a right that can only aquired by birth. It is more previledged than citizenship in that sense.

Not to hijack Bobsmyth's thread, but your point raises an interesting question. Let's say a Russian (or any other) citizen moves to American Samoa. Would it be possible for that person to become a naturalized national?

Vopral. please see below on your question if foreign born person can become US National ( American Samoa)...Sorry we take over this thread

www.samoaimmigration.gov.ws/about/contact.html

I think these type of US Nationals should 1st become American Samoa citizens, then draw the benefits of US Nationals (as hobby, I love to read about these small islands with foreign controls.)

Vopral. please see below on your question if foreign born person can become US National ( American Samoa)...Sorry we take over this thread

www.samoaimmigration.gov.ws/about/contact.html

I think these type of US Nationals should 1st become American Samoa citizens, then draw the benefits of US Nationals (as hobby, I love to read about these small islands with foreign controls.)

Hmm, you listed Samoa's immigration page, not American Samoa. Samoa is a different country...

US noncitizens nationals can apply for citizenship too. Just don't know how their eligibility are different from ours. Apparently they
don't have issue such as abandoned GC, deportable offenses.