Stimulus Checks


Registered Users (C)
I get questions from friends about these IRS checks coming in May.

1) Will new US Permananet Residents (that came here thru family sponsor) get the checks if their first ever tax return filed was 2007?

2) What about other non-immigrants? F-1/J-1 students...working and filing taxes with valid SS#'s?

3) Families without SS#'s (illegal or not) but with US citizen children?
Last edited by a moderator:


Registered Users (C)
From the IRS site...,,id=179181,00.html

You won’t get a stimulus payment in 2008, if any of the following apply to you:

You don’t file a 2007 tax return.
Your net income tax liability is zero and your qualifying income is less than $3,000. To determine your qualifying income, add together your wages, net self-employment income, nontaxable combat pay, Social Security benefits, certain Railroad Retirement benefits and certain veterans’ payments.
You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return (whether or not you actually are claimed as a dependent on someone else's return). For example, this would include a child or student who can be claimed on a parent’s return. [Updated 4/15/08]
You do not have a valid Social Security Number.
You are a nonresident alien.
You file Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040PR or Form 1040SS for 2007.

Plus - you MUST have a SSN. A TIN will not do. Plus, if you're married and you file jointly - BOTH spouse MUST have a SSN. Again, a TIN will not do. And all children must have SSN's to qualify.

If you file a 2007 tax return, then your are potentially eligible based on other factors. Having filed in previous years does not matter.

And this is an advance on your 2008 return. So, if your circumstances change and based on yoru 2008 return you are eligible but your 2007 filing said you were not, then you will get your rebate in 2008 instead of now. And if it is determined that they gave you too much now - THEY CANNOT take it back or reduce your 2008 refund to get it back.
Will the payment I receive in 2008 reduce my 2008 refund or increase the amount I owe for 2008?

A. No, the Stimulus Payment will not reduce your refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your 2008 return.