Step III for H1B

patho

Dear Forum,
I understand that having passed your Step III before you start your residency is required for an H1B, but is the Step III result a prerquisite for the University's Residency Program to sponsor you for an H1B visa during the match?
(For example if I take the Step III at the end February can I expect to be sponsored for an H1B on that basis, given that the result will be available before I begin the residency? or do I have to have the result before the match itself)

Thank you,
Patho

From what I understand, you need to have step3 when the hospital files the: 'I129, petition for nonimmigrant worker'. This would be right after the match, once they have offered you a contract.

However:
If you already indicated that you need an H1b, most places probably won't consider to rank you unless you have met all the prerequisites before the match. Remember, there is only a limited amount of time between match day and July 1st. If you matched for a position but you can't start due to visa issues, the hospital is loosing federal funding for your spot to the tune of 10k per month.

step 3 before residency ....

patho said:
... I understand that having passed your Step III before you start your residency is required for an H1B, but is the Step III result a prerquisite for the University's Residency Program to sponsor you for an H1B visa during the match? (For example if I take the Step III at the end February can I expect to be sponsored for an H1B on that basis, given that the result will be available before I begin the residency? or do I have to have the result before the match itself)

hadron said:
... from what I understand, you need to have step3 when the hospital files the: 'I129, petition for nonimmigrant worker'. This would be right after the match, once they have offered you a contract.

>>>You do NOT need Step 3 result before filing your I-129 for H1. If you have not taken Step 3 by the time you have to file your H1 papers, here is how this works:
sign residency contract for H1 > ask lawyer to file I-129 > take your Step 3 > USCIS will issue an RFE for your Step 3 result > submit your Step 3 result now (if you don't have it at this time, then your petition will be denied).

key is: file under regular H1 petition (not under premium processing), take Step 3 and get result before USCIS picks up your petition to adjudicate it.
If you get your Step 3 result and find that USCIS is still 2-3 months away from taking up your petition, then pay another 1000 bucks, convert your petition to Premium processing and Bingo!

Filing H1B w/o Step 3 result

J1victim,

I am in the same boat. I will not get Step 3 result out until mid april.
I need to know what the best way to file H1B visa is? What are the
chances of ending up in issues if I file regular H1B visa w/o step 3 result
now and once the result is out convert to premium processing?

I was told of 2 other options:

1. File H1B visa after the step 3 result is out. Not sure if the hospital will
allow it? Does any one know someone who did it?
2. Same as what you recommended but also submit an undertaking that
step 3 exam has been taken and awaiting result.

Is this the best way to handle it?

h1 and step 3 result availability

manishb123 said:
I will not get Step 3 result out until mid april. What are the chances of ending up in issues if I file regular H1B visa w/o step 3 result now and once the result is out convert to premium processing?

>>> hard to quantify the %

I was told of 2 other options:
1. File H1B visa after the step 3 result is out. Not sure if the hospital will
allow it? Does any one know someone who did it?

>>> depends on individual programs. It is Feb already, so it is a judgement call from program director of your hospital. Mid april for step 3 result and then filing H1 papers is LATE, and if i were the PD, i would be hesitant to take this risk.

2. Same as what you recommended but also submit an undertaking that
step 3 exam has been taken and awaiting result.

>>> I had 4 residents of mine go this route. Their lawyer was based in Long Island. 3 took their exam in december and right after that filed their H1 papers, before the step 3 result was out. 1 took the exam in Feb, and filed papers 1 week after that. email me if you need any further info.

message deleted (unrelated post)

this message was deleted by the moderator (reason: unrelated post)

Last edited by a moderator:
h1b attorney and step 3 results

J1victim said:
>>> I had 4 residents of mine go this route. Their lawyer was based in Long Island. .... email me if you need any further info.
manishb123, in response to your email; their attorney was:
Reaz Jafri
email rjafri@jafri.com
Tel 516-365-6122

I feel any attorney should be able to handle this situation. You may wanna check with Rajiv Khanna's (this website owner) office.

dates to take step 3

hi,
if i'm graduating in 2006 and applying for H1b for residency, when (the latest!) should i take step 3? how long does it take for the results to come out?