Status Inquiry/Selective Service

mikejj

I entered the U.S. legally from Canada as a visitor on January 1997. I did not need a visa or I-94 card to enter the U.S., When I entered the U.S. on January 1997, I was 23 years old. Later in May 1997, I filed an application to Adjust Status under an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. (These are all the applications I have filed at the same time:
I-130, I-485, G-325A, I-134, I-765, I-693).
The date the petition was filed was May 1997. A few years later, I had an interview where I received a "Notice of approval of relative immigrant visa petition". The date of approval of petition was January 2000. I had turned 26 years old on December 1999.
A couple months later, in March 2000, I received an I-551 stamp (Permanent Resident) in my passport.

My first question is, between the time the adjustment of status application is filed and the green card approved, the applicant is in what legal status? And how can I obtain proof of that legal status (is there a form I need to fill out in order to receive proof of status from INS?)

My second question is, was I required to register for selective service?

I appreciate if you can clarify this for me. Thank you for your help.

that status is known as "pending I-485" or "pending aos" it only allows you to get a work permit. There is no way to verify that status other than showing the paperwork that was received and the work permit.

Yes you were suppose to have registered with selective services. You can't do it now because you are too old and no one caught it at the time. However that may be a problem if you ever apply for citizenship. You may want to talk to a lawyer about that if you do decide to apply for citizenship.