Starting Small Business in either/both countries

k_nraj

Registered Users (C)
I've been thinking of starting a small business (independent contractor, partnership etc) in either or both US & Canada while I'm on TN

Is it even possible?:confused:

Say, (1)While I'm on TN, I start a partnership biz and be a non working partner in US
(2)While I'm on TN, I start a partnership biz and be a part time working partner in US (What status, I'm not sure!)
(3)While I'm on TN, I start a partnership biz and be a non working partner in Canada
(4)While I'm on TN, I start a partnership biz and be a part time working partner in Canada

Looking forward for any input

Thank You

Thanks Nelson for the reply
The work I'm planning is in relation to my current TN professional work. Is that possible.
Could you please describe some details

Thank You TRC,
Doubts I've is, it's going to be a small biz with only two partners working; no other employees etc and it'll be as part time since I don't want to try something which we're not sure if it's going to take off. Can we as partners write employment letter to me (one of the partners); is it considered to be valid TN letter.

In case future I want to do this biz as full time, can I make that as full time

I'm just trying to be cautious and practical

Thank You TRC,
Can we as partners write employment letter to me (one of the partners); is it considered to be valid TN letter.

No. Self-employment is not permitted on the TN, and as a partner you don't have an arms-length relationship from your employer.

TRC means that self-sponsorship is not allowed on TN. Your arrangement would be considered self-sponsorship, snce you have too much control of the company.

In effect I can't work on my biz in US, while on TN. Is there any other legal options?
What about starting in Canada while on TN in US & working occasionally in Canada in my own biz. Is there anything that I should worry about

In effect I can't work on my biz in US, while on TN. Is there any other legal options?
What about starting in Canada while on TN in US & working occasionally in Canada in my own biz. Is there anything that I should worry about

This would be perfectly OK since you are working in Canada for yourself.
Doing any of this work at your US residence would not be legal.