Starting a consulting business

cobwebs

Registered Users (C)
I have (in my previous life) made a good living as a technical consultant. That is until I decided to go work in the US as an employee on H1B....8-(

Is there anyone out there with experience of starting a business in the United States (unlikely). How much paperwork is to be done?

Do you know if this is possible

Hi, I am in the same situation and wonder how this would affect our legal status in this country. Would it be possible to open up our own business and work for ourselves??

Self-employment

I believe you would need to petition for an Investor Visa which generally requires an investment of $1,000,000.00 or $500,000.00 (depending on the circumstances) and employment of at least 10 U.S. workers. There may be another method; however, I am not presently aware of one.

COMPANY IN THE USA

Very easdy and simple to work a business in the USA. Try an LLC.
Anyone can open a business in the USA in minutes. An LLC with a aprtner who has a social security number and permanent resident or us citizen could be a good think for you.

Marcio

laws regarding businesses

Does anyone know were we can get the legal information regarding the start-up of a business for a foreigner? If so could you please post were such information might be available.

well i\'m a principal partner in a consulting business & this is possible

it is feasible & doesn\'t affect your legal status. just check with any good account locally & they will set you up.
but i recommend you to work with a GC Holder.

since your are on H1 there are definately limitations but primarily
immigration related.

u cannot withdraw money from the company, u can only get it out as salary & for that u need to be employed & that would require you to have a H1 from the company you start. but the gotcha is you cannot
sponsper GC thru your own company, how about that.

so u have to have your day job till GC comes thru & in the meantime
build your business working part time. oh another thing you can be an investor in a company & be on a board & own shares. so there are lot of avenues out there to be still enterpreneurial. don\'t let the immigration issues bog you down.

Good Luck..
-A

I have EAD , Can I start an S-Corporation

Hi , I have got my EAD card . I want to start a small business .
Can I elect for S subchapter corporation, so that I do not have to pay double tax .

H1B Transfer from part time to new full time

can someone tell me if it\'s a problem to transfer an H1B where u are getting paid parttime (say 10 hours or so) to a new and a different employer who is willing to get you a new H1B. i.e is it a problem if the pay stubs are part time.
thanks a million

yes

i have been toying with the same idea for a while now. Would love to talk with you. i sent you a private message

please write to me

i don\'t know why u did not receive ... i sent a private message.
Anyway, I think it is better if you write to me at: rajbala@yahoo.com

as this is private email.

Thanks

business in USA ??

Hi Frineds,

I am planning to open new grocery store in USA ? So do any one have any kinda information to start this business ?

Please let me know, whatever you know ?

thanks

Starting the business is simple and presents no problems

It\'s working for the corporation that causes problems. There are ways to do this but what way to go is determined by the amount of the investment, the individual\'s qualifications, and the nature of the business/type of employment.

Jim

James D. Mills
(formerly Jim M)
Attorney at Law
jdmills@justice.com
732-644-5702

Starting a business while on H1B

Can I start a business (like opening a restaurant) in US, while I am on H1B visa?