Start date on TN visa letter / How early can I get my TN visa

jack10901090

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
My new employer will be sending me an offer letter (TN visa) with a start date of 7th July / 12th July and I have to be in the US on June 25,25 & 27 for a family function. I want to get my TN visa quickly so that I can resign from my current position.

Can I go for my TN visa one month prior to the job starting? (joining date = July 12th)

If I get my TN visa on June 16th for eg can I cross the border on June 24th though I will not join my employer till July 12th.

Thanks in advance.

Please advise.
Jack10901090

Most POEs will only give TN (with that days date) a couple of weeks early. Some will only issue "on your way to job".

Best practice: Put no starting date on TN letter (it should merely sate period of intended employement (ie. 3 years)). Schedule a telecon with your new employer for the day you drive to border. When asked if you are going to work, you can honestly say yes.

It is the start date that is always problematic, and in terms of TN validity, CBP will only put 3 years from the day you get TN, not 3 years from starting date. If you get it June 16th, it will expire June 5th 2013, regardless of the start date.

Once you get the TN, you will always enter on TN status unles the employer has terminated you.