Stamping, passport expired

2yearscounting

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

My passport will expire in less than a month, and a new one will not be ready until 3-4 months later. What happens if my I485 gets approved and I need to go for stamping, and my passport is expired?

Thanks.

Why would it takes 3 - 4 months to get new one?????

I enquired here. Thay said it will take about 10 days to get a new/renewed one.

JJ

I was in same position two weeks back. I went to DC office and submitted in person and received new passport nextday in person. If you mail the passport you will get 7 to 10 days. And If you are in NY area and if you drop in person you can get passport same day.

The choice is yours. You can have your passport stamped and then sent for renewal. When your new passport comes you will have to go once again and get your new passport stamped.

Alternatively, you can go and get your passport stamped once you get your new passport.

The approval letter has no limitations as to within what time frame you should get your passport stamped. When I raised this question with an official @ INS he said that they would prefer if it was stamped within 90 days of approval notice.

If u are on H1 and pending , Passport renewal will take 15 days.
if U are on H1 and have h1 approval notice, it will take 1 day.
if u have EAD , passport renewal will take 1 day.

joejoy said:
Why would it takes 3 - 4 months to get new one?????

I enquired here. Thay said it will take about 10 days to get a new/renewed one.

JJ

I'm not an Indian. Current processing time for a passport renewal for citizens of my country residing in the US is 4-6 months. I applied in July (my mistake, I have to confess, but I couldn't even think it takes so long).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunny19 said:
The choice is yours. You can have your passport stamped and then sent for renewal. When your new passport comes you will have to go once again and get your new passport stamped.

Alternatively, you can go and get your passport stamped once you get your new passport.

The approval letter has no limitations as to within what time frame you should get your passport stamped. When I raised this question with an official @ INS he said that they would prefer if it was stamped within 90 days of approval notice.

So, you're saying it is possible to get an expired passport stamped?..

My passport is going to expire in two months and I called the Indian Consulate in NY and they told me that if I come to the counter before 11.00 am and apply then I would get the Renewed Passport by 4.30 PM SAME DAY.

So if you are in TRI STATE area then you will get it in a DAY and if you are in some other area then you should call the Consulate office in your region.

needhelp1 said:
My passport is going to expire in two months and I called the Indian Consulate in NY and they told me that if I come to the counter before 11.00 am and apply then I would get the Renewed Passport by 4.30 PM SAME DAY.

So if you are in TRI STATE area then you will get it in a DAY and if you are in some other area then you should call the Consulate office in your region.
The poster of this thread is not an indian so your answer does not apply to him ...

I was in the same boat

I was told that pp will be ready in 6 months but it was ready in 3.
I got my approval in 2 months after pp was ready.

If you still get an approval before pp is ready maybe still try to go for stamping with old pp and pp renewal receipt, so you can say that you made a good faith attempt but your gvt is screwing you up.

Also your govt may issue a pp extension, even though they normally don't do it.

INS may also just overlook that your pp is expired ;-)
especially considering that only in US they have this stupid MM/DD/YYYY format.
Just don't tell them that pp expired ;-)
Stamping is not a visa, they may still stamp it even if they see the pp is expired.

Last edited by a moderator:
PrinceOfDarknes said:
INS may also just overlook that your pp is expired ;-)
especially considering that only in US they have this stupid MM/DD/YYYY format.
Just don't tell them that pp expired ;-)
Stamping is not a visa, they may still stamp it even if they see the pp is expired.

Thanks everybody, I feel much releived, looks like it's not as bad as I thought it was.

By the way, if you look at my passport's expiration date in MMDDYYYY format, it expired in March, at which I was pointed when I went for an interim EAD in June. Luckily, my burth date can not be read that way, so I managed to explain them that it's not expired yet.

I had the same situation where my kids passports were expiring in 3 months and we had interview.

My attorney suggested getting passports renewwed, which I did.

BTW, it takes only a day to get new passport. Gave it in the morning and got new one same evening.

Where are you located?

If you dont need to travel any time soon outside US, then passport stamping is not even an necessity.
After the 485 approval, my sister got her GC card by mail in 2weeks. She never got her passport stamped...

2yearscounting said:
Guys,

My passport will expire in less than a month, and a new one will not be ready until 3-4 months later. What happens if my I485 gets approved and I need to go for stamping, and my passport is expired?

Thanks.