spousal sponsering

Lilpig

hey folks :)

I've been reading here and well, it's much simpler to hear things from real ppl and not documents and what not. anyway, listen if you will :)

My fiance is in the states and I am in Canada. We are looking for the best way to get him into Canada under a sponsorship.
I understand that when he comes to Canada w/his passport while waiting on the papers that he can not work till it is all finished or w/a work permit. More then likely he will stay and work at home while we wait.
any errors in this way of doing it?

From what i have seen, i dont know exactly but, we would just go to the courthouse, get married then start the paperwork. Im not sure what the paperwork is but i know the place to go to start it.
would it make a difference what country we get the certificate done?
would we have to apply for anything other than the sponsorship?
he wouldnt need a k1 from doing it this way correct?

so i have found some answers already and have new ones. sry.

for an American to be sponsored, it's either have to be an in Canada form or outside of Canada form. to stay in Canada you'd need a temporary res. permit or work or student permit, can not stay on visitor visa cause it might not be approved for renewal and you'd have to leave the country and forfeit the application. Outside of Canada, well, i didnt research that option since it seems easy enough to get an open work permit while waiting for it all to complete.

I guess something that still isnt answered for me is, if it makes a difference what country the marriage is done in?

and if it's better to just get a lawyer to do it all?
though money can be an issue...
can anyone give an estimate as to the total of all expenses for a spousal sponsorship excluding travel fares :) i'm curious-how much did it cost you? cause im sure thousands of dollars will be extra on it if a lawyer's involved.