• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Sponsorship document

Zurich_girl

Registered Users (C)
Hi! A friend of a friend has just won the DV lottery and asked me to become their sponsor for the consulate interview. I believe this involves filling out a form and submitting proof of income, etc. I am a bit hesitant to do it since I don't know the person and it looks like it's a big obligation. I won the DV lottery about 6 yrs ago and I am currently in the U.S. What are the implications of signing this sponsorship form for someone to guarantee funds, etc? Would the US government come after me if the person comes here and gets on welfare? Has anyone had any experience? Thanks for your help!

The intent of the affidavit is to discourage new immigrants from applying for and receiving government benefits which they are not entitled to. The government is supposed to go after the sponsor should that happen. The good news here is that you will be signing an I-134 which has been proven to be unenforceable, so the government cannot come after you.

However if you don't feel comfortable signing this form since she's a friend of a friend, then you shouldn't. While the affidavit may not be enforceable, it is still an official record and you shouldn't be lying on it by claiming you're willing to support someone if you have no intention of doing that.

However if you don't feel comfortable signing this form since she's a friend of a friend, then you shouldn't. While the affidavit may not be enforceable, it is still an official record and you shouldn't be lying on it by claiming you're willing to support someone if you have no intention of doing that.

Especially as the form highlights that doing so is under penalty of perjury. I hear what you say about it not being legally enforceable but I don't see why anyone would run the risk if they don't intend to fulfil it.