Sponsoring Wife and Son I-130

MoozB

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I submitted a single I-130 application for my wife and son back in March 2011. Application was approved and now being proccessed by National Visa Center. A few months ago, I was contacted by NVC to pay the Affidavit Support fee. I already made the payment; now I believe I have to submit I-864 form(not submitted yet).

The Question I have is that when I submitted the I-130 form back in March 2011; I was just a green card holder. Now, since yesterday I am a US citizen. I have been told that I need to resubmit an I-130 application for my son.

Can someone clarify this for me? Do I really need to submit another application? What other options do I have? Just checked the visa bulletin, and it seems that they reach my priority date.

I would appreciate any advise or recommendation.

Thanks,

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I got the approval from USCIS back in August 2011 and got an email from NVC with my case number in March 2012. Any advise or recommendation?

Thanks!

You need to file an I-130 for your son. Your naturalization means he qualifies as an immediate relative, and immediate relatives can't be added as derivatives to another family member's petition (your wife), so he needs a separate I-130.

However, you don't need another I-864 for him, because he'll become a citizen once he's admitted to the US and starts living with you. File I-864W instead.