Sponsoring spouse - refusal under section 39

anbajwa

Hello, experts

I have canadian PR and trying to sponsor my husband from overseas. The application for sponsorship was approved by Mississauga office but my spouse's application for permanent residence is facing difficulty getting through. A recent letter from the concerned high commission quotes IRPA Section 39 (quoted below) and it appears that my spouse's application is about to be turned down.

“Financial reasons
39. A foreign national is inadmissible for financial reasons if they are or will be unable or unwilling to support themselves or any other person who is dependent on them, and have not satisfied an officer that adequate arrangements for care and support, other than those that involve social assistance, have been made”

I'm 72 years old and depend on my son (with whom I live) for support. I believe there’s no financial requirement for spousal sponsorship (except that sponsor must not be a welfare recipient). Was I wrong? Also, I’m wondering what are the possible ways to resolve this issue and satisfy the visa officer at this stage? (I have been a welfare recipient in the past but not anymore; stopped recieving those payments well before sponsoring my spouse).

Please help. Thanks