Sponsoring son with no USA income

samadss

Registered Users (C)
My mother in law, who is a green card holder, would like to sponsor her son (my brother in law). However, she doesn't have any USA based income or assets. All her assets are in Pakistan. While filling out the affidavit of support, what assets or income can she show on the firm?

The rule with assets is that they are able to be easily liquidated and equal at least 5x the required income (technically the difference between actual & required income, but in your case income is zero.) The intending immigrant can bring assets with but it doesn’t seem they will accept only overseas assets from the sponsor https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html#aos13. So your mom in law will need a joint sponsor with US income or assets.

Thank you so much. So is the next step simply that me or my wife will sign the affidavit of support along with my mother in law?

You sign an additional one. From the same link as above :

What happens if the petitioner doesn't have enough income?

Petitioners who cannot meet this level have two choices: 1) find a “joint sponsor” who will agree to also financially support the visa applicant, or 2) use the income of a household member to meet the Poverty Guidelines. These additional financial sponsors also have to submit an Affidavit of Support, proof of their income, and proof of their legal status in the United States. Remember: Even if a petitioner finds a joint sponsor or uses the income of a household member to financially sponsor a visa applicant, that petitioner must still submit an Affidavit of Support.