Sponsoring parents who are visiting US on B1/B2

tsubs

Registered Users (C)
Hello !

My parents are in the USA now with a B1/B2 visa, valid till 2005. Can they be sponsored to Canada under family category ? Would having the sponsorship application processed in the USA give any great advantage over processing it in their country of citizenship in Asia?

Thanks,
Tsubs

You will have to file the sponsorship application first with CPC in Mississauga. If approved, you will be notified with next steps. You cannot request your parents application to be processed in Buffalo.

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/menu-en.asp?act=v&did=2110&mid=5&cat=1185&typ=1

Your parents VISA Stamp in their passport is valid till 2005. However, this dosen't mean they can stay till 2005. Normally visitors are admitted for a period of 6 months and maybe it could be extended for another 6 months.

I must add, nowadays BCIS scrutinizes application for visa extensions very closely. Unless there are urgent and compelling reasons, like medical treatments, chances of getting refused are quite high. I don’t think any decisions should be made regarding Canadian PR from US counting visa extensions.