Sponsoring Child

sbc

Folks,

Can any experienced person answer this?

I need to sponsor my son who was born in the US. We are landed immigrants, and have been paying canadian taxes.

It clearly states in the Inland Processing Policy and Regulation Manual that there is no income requirement if one is sponsoring his/her child, spouse, conjual partner (LICO), however one has to enclose the Option "C" printout / Tax Assessment of their tax return. The IPPR clearly states what the officer at CIC should look for to see if the sponsor meets the residency requirements:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/english/index.html

13.2 Residency requirements for sponsors For the purposes of residency for sponsorship purposes the IRB appeal division ruled that a sponsor must maintain a significant connection to Canada. Officers should consider whether the prospective sponsor:
• maintains a residence in Canada;
• has spouse and/or children resident in Canada;
• has assets in Canada;
• pays Canadian income tax on global income;
• visits Canada regularly;
• maintains investments, bank accounts, health insurance or club memberships in Canada.
Sponsors may be found ineligible to sponsor if:
• they maintain residences in two countries at the same time;
• they have a house in Canada, but work abroad;
• they have interrupted their residence in Canada or spend little time in Canada. Foreign stamps or post marks on the envelope, a foreign employer or the sponsor’s non-Canadian address are
indications the sponsor may not be residing in Canada.
• there is evidence that they will leave Canada soon after the sponsored applicant becomes a permanent resident. Sponsors must satisfy an officer they will continue to reside in Canada after
the member of the family class becomes a permanent resident.
• Sponsors are not ineligible if they take short holidays or business trips outside Canada.

Now does this mean that if one is working in the US he/she cannot sponsor his/her child for PR in Canada?

Last edited by a moderator:
We applied for our son's immigration (born in the US). All the time we maintained our residency in Canada. Both of us are working full time here. My son is till in the US with my parents. I don't know whether you'd be able to sponsor your child while staying in the US or not.

Secondly, although they say that you do not require to show your income to sponsor a child, but in our case they requested our notice of assessment too!

Hope it helps!
If you have any specific questions about the process, you can always post your question and I'll try to answer that.

Originally posted by Qwerty20
We applied for our son's immigration (born in the US). All the time we maintained our residency in Canada. Both of us are working full time here. My son is till in the US with my parents. I don't know whether you'd be able to sponsor your child while staying in the US or not.

Secondly, although they say that you do not require to show your income to sponsor a child, but in our case they requested our notice of assessment too!

Hope it helps!
If you have any specific questions about the process, you can always post your question and I'll try to answer that.

Thanks for the reply!! How long did the process take? I just mailed the papers to the Case processing Center in Mississauga. There are new rules now, which allows the sponsor to file the childs application along with the sponsors application. One can also complete the medicals. Hopefully this will speed up the process. I have paid taxes for 2002, and did enclose the assessment notice. I have bank accounts, credit cards, cell phone bills, health cards, sin cards for us and our child who migrated with us. All of the bank accounts and credit card accounts have been active. The only concern I had was how will they react if they see an employment verification letter from a US Employer?