Son's Indian Passport

eternal_labor

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

In my family of 4, I, my wife and my daughter have US Passport, but my son is still on Indian passport with US Green Card.

My daughter is a US Citizen by birth and has a PIO card from before. I and my wife recently got our US Citizenship, so we applied for OCI.

The reason we have not applied for our son's US Passport is because we want to wait an year to determine if he would be going back to India for high school. He might try for the Indian Civil Services, if he goes back to India. Only Indian Citizens are eligible to appear for the Indian Civil Services.

We will be traveling to India in October.

Could you please let me know if you foresee any issues regarding travel or otherwise?

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Is he a minor? if so

1) He lost his Indian Citizenship and has an option to re-claim when he becomes Major and I believe 21
2) He automatically becomes US Citizen

He cannot travel with Indian Passport as is

If he is already a major he will be treated as an Adult and nothing to worry about

Hi all,

In my family of 4, I, my wife and my daughter have US Passport, but my son is still on Indian passport with US Green Card.

My daughter is a US Citizen by birth and has a PIO card from before. I and my wife recently got our US Citizenship, so we applied for OCI.

The reason we have not applied for our son's US Passport is because we want to wait an year to determine if he would be going back to India for high school. He might try for the Indian Civil Services, if he goes back to India. Only Indian Citizens are eligible to appear for the Indian Civil Services.

We will be traveling to India in October.

Could you please let me know if you foresee any issues regarding travel or otherwise?

Thank you for your time.

Regards

What is your son's age? That is the main determining factor for all your queries. Since you and your wife are US citizens, there is this possibility of your son having automatically become a US citizen. If that is the case, then your son must have lost Indian citizenship.

He has lost his indian Citizenship and cannot travel on Indian passport, he can reclaim it later when he is not a minor as suggested by the previous reply. You also cannot admit him in a Indian school and enjoy lower fees. Simply put you just can't have best of both worlds as per Indian nationality law.

How can he lose his Indian citizenship? He automatically become a US citizen but not by choice.
What if one day US change laws saying children can not automaticallty get US citizenship because
parents are natualized? It is an example of one country's law depends on another country's law?

How can he lose his Indian citizenship? He automatically become a US citizen but not by choice.
What if one day US change laws saying children can not automaticallty get US citizenship because
parents are natualized? It is an example of one country's law depends on another country's law?

The Indian govt will be the ones who will stop recognizing him as an Indian citizen. Under present law he can be EITHER a US citizen OR an Indian citizen at any given time, but NOT both. Remember, it is India that does not allow dual citizenship; the US allows it.

If he has automatically become a US citizen by virtue of naturalization of his parents, AND if he or the parents do not want it this way, then *maybe* (should be confirmed with a competent source) they can renounce his US citizenship, thereby letting the existing Indian citizenhip prevail. But then he will need a GC/visa to remain in the US, unless he reclaims US citizenship (in the future).

Indian immigration laws are far more rigid and cumbersome compared to corresponding US laws, but this aspect is hardly ever discussed since not many foreigners go to India seeking Indian citizenhip. Also, India does NOT grant Indian citizenship for babies born in India to (both) foreign parents. Maybe it's time for India to loosen up?

Regards.

-RN

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your son's age? That is the main determining factor for all your queries. Since you and your wife are US citizens, there is this possibility of your son having automatically become a US citizen. If that is the case, then your son must have lost Indian citizenship.

My son is 13 yrs. old