Some questions regarding GC for parents.

jimgreener

Registered Users (C)
I am a US citizen. I want to file GC application for my parents (India). I have a few questions
1. My parents don't have birth certificate or marriage certificate. They were born before 1950 in Kashmir and they don't live there anymore. So, they won't be able to get Non-Availability certificate either.
What should I or they do? Is it sufficient to submit Affidavits for Birth Certificate and Marriage certificate?
2. I was born in 1974 and even I did not have BC when I applied for Naturalization. All I had was non-availability and affidavit from my parents. Will that be enough to prove my relationship with my parents.

3. How long does the whole process of GC take for parents. Will be it faster/easier if they were already here? They have 10yr visitor visa and can visit me any time.

I will appreciate if you can answer these questions.
Thanks

They should go for consular processing as it is improper to enter as visitor with the intent to AOS.

Provide the best documentation you can obtain; if it is impossible to obtain the document, there is nothing you can do to obtain it. The officers/agency will have seen similar cases from the time frame and location and understand the problem.

It is just the processing time. Since they have 6 months to enter the US after receiving authorization, they should use this time to complete their affairs (hopefully they do not intend to use a GC in place of a visit visa so they do have things to complete) before their permanent move. Uncomplicated processing is less than a year in most cases.

I suggest that to have the best chance of everything going quickly that you complete all paperwork and have a brief consultation with an attorney experienced in family immigration for a final review to make certain you have not forgotten anything or to identify where you could present some evidence in a better way.