• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Some INFO please

istog

Hi i was a DV14 selectee with high cn and want to know if i would get refused if i would try a work and travel student visa?

Can you show that you have strong ties to your home country?

(By the way, what is a "work and travel student visa"?)

3-4 month visa in summer vacation in which the agency find us 7-9 dollar a hour work and a flat near the work...
the main thing is not to have immigrant intention.
i dont know if i was clear enough

3-4 month visa in summer vacation in which the agency find us 7-9 dollar a hour work and a flat near the work...

This visa doesn't exist.

Ok, so a J1 where an agency organises you the job that you need for the visa.
If you've submitted a DS230 for DV2014 you have already demonstrated immigrant intent to the US. It doesn't mean you will automatically be denied a visa, but you would need to show strong ties to your home country to prove you would go back after your J1 visa. I'm guessing that if you are intending to take a minimum wage job in the US then you are unlikely to have sufficient assets etc in your home country to convince a CO of this. No one here can tell you for sure, but I would guess you have more than 50% chance of being denied.

Ok, so a J1 where an agency organises you the job that you need for the visa.
If you've submitted a DS230 for DV2014 you have already demonstrated immigrant intent to the US. It doesn't mean you will automatically be denied a visa, but you would need to show strong ties to your home country to prove you would go back after your J1 visa. I'm guessing that if you are intending to take a minimum wage job in the US then you are unlikely to have sufficient assets etc in your home country to convince a CO of this. No one here can tell you for sure, but I would guess you have more than 50% chance of being denied.

SusieQQQQ sometimes people do it for the experience. I was really into staying at an organic farm somewhere in Canada with a family for the rich experience it offered, but my parents felt otherwise, so it didn't materialize. I am from an upper class family though. Just Saying.

SusieQQQQ sometimes people do it for the experience. I was really into staying at an organic farm somewhere in Canada with a family for the rich experience it offered, but my parents felt otherwise, so it didn't materialize. I am from an upper class family though. Just Saying.

Yeah, sometimes they do. You're lucky you came from the kind of background where you could afford to think of doing something like that just for the experience. Judging from these threads, however, in general that does not apply to many people here. In any case, the point remains the same: if he can prove strong ties to his home country, he should be fine. If he can't, unlikely to get a visa. Remember he has already demonstrated immigrant intent so has an even stronger burden of proof.

I used to work for an agency whose 'work & study' applicants managed to be successful only 1 out of 10 at the interview. The reason was 'not strong ties with home'. It was a pitty because they already had the job offer in hand

I used to work for an agency whose 'work & study' applicants managed to be successful only 1 out of 10 at the interview. The reason was 'not strong ties with home'. It was a pitty because they already had the job offer in hand

Yup that sounds accurate. For the majority of non immigrant visas the official position is the CO is to assume the person has immigrant intent unless the applicant can show otherwise. So as SusieQQQ said, the DV process might increase the burden of proof somewhat, but the burden was already there - and that is tough for a youngster with no real ties (job, own home and so on).

Yeah. Once upon a time I got a one year US tourist visa as a fresh graduate without a job or a home ..and a father resident in the US. I bet I couldn't do that these days.