Social Security

BAMCITIZEN

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

We became citizens and I would like to go and change status as US Citizens in Social Secuirty office, I need to know can I go alone change for entire family or they have to present for changing status.

Post your experience.

You should take everyone with you to be on the safe side. I know for a fact that adults must be present and make the request themselves.

As for children you should call SSA and ask them. You can even make an appointment ahead of time if you like - just visit their website www.ssa.gov

What identification do they need to make that change ? I have lost my Certificate and have no passport or green card either !

What identification do they need to make that change ? I have lost my Certificate and have no passport or green card either !

Unfortunately to change your status to citizen from LPR you need proof of citizenship. Since you lost your certificate and do not have a passport - you cannot change your status. You will have to wait until you get the replacement certificate.

If you go to the SSA office and talk to a supervisor, they can as they always do nowadays check with USCIS and confirm if you are a USC. You can try it.
:D

If you go to the SSA office and talk to a supervisor, they can as they always do nowadays check with USCIS and confirm if you are a USC. You can try it.
:D

You can, but I still think they would require proof of citizenship. It might work if s/he had a copy of the certificate to give to them to follow up with USCIS. But perhaps s/he can try and let us know how it goes for future reference.

i did it right after the oath. They had a booth setup outside the oath hall, so i did it right there. i think that is the best advice, otherwise you have to do make an appointment and go there.

Is the old SSN card required while getting the citizenship status updated

Do they ask for the old SSN card. Looks like i have misplaced it somewhere..

What happens if we don't change status at the SSA? is it mandatory?

It isn't mandatory, but it is highly recommended. For one, updating your status with the SSA makes it easier when applying for jobs in the future as you will show as a citizen. Also, you will be entitled to the full benefits offered by the SSA such as medicare and disability benefits.

It is ultimately your choice.

Do they ask for the old SSN card. Looks like i have misplaced it somewhere..

Hi -

They didn't ask me for the card. In fact they will automatically process to send you a new card when you update your status. I had to let the lady know that my card was fine and in my possession without any restrictions on it so I had her suppress the new card order.

If you have proof of your identity and USA citizenship, then you are fine. The process really takes 5 minutes. Go ahead and fill out an application form from the SSA web site to save yourself some time prior to the appointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Useful SSA Info for Newark, NJ

Good news for Newark, NJ citizens. You can go to the SSA office at 10th floor to get the SSA records updated for new citizenship. Only a picture id and the Citizenship Certificate required.

I completed mine and my wife's SSA application in 10 mins.

Good news for Newark, NJ citizens. You can go to the SSA office at 10th floor to get the SSA records updated for new citizenship. Only a picture id and the Citizenship Certificate required.

I completed mine and my wife's SSA application in 10 mins.

pancpgc: Did they make the required SS changes while you were there, or did you fill out/submit forms and the changes will be made later?

Thanks.