Social Security situation if one leaves early

marlon2006

Registered Users (C)
According to information from the Social Security Admin, I am eligible to receive $1,600/month if I stop working today and retire at 62. I have been in the US for 10 years.

Imagine that I decide to go back to country of origin after getting the US citizenship. My country has no tax treaty with the US.

Anyone know if I could receive my retirement payment from the US when I reach 62 and living abroad?

Let's say after getting citizenship at age of 38, I go to Argentina and live and work there.

I contributed over 10 years to US social security.

With SSA facing insolvency within 30 years, you may not end up seeing the money the US government has promised.

With SSA facing insolvency within 30 years, you may not end up seeing the money the US government has promised.
That may happen, but that is unrelated to whether the citizen is living inside or outside the US. If SS is still alive, citizens will get the money wherever they live (except for the blacklisted countries). If SS is totally dead, nobody will get the money no matter where they live.

Last edited by a moderator:
That may happen, but that is unrelated to whether the citizen is living inside or outside the US. If SS is still alive, citizens will get the money wherever they live (except for the blacklisted countries). If SS is totally dead, nobody will get the money no matter where they live.

That's an assumption, not fact. It's possible that Congress may change the law in the future to treat foreign and domestic (and/or citizen/non-citizen) beneficiaries differently.

How likely? Who knows - but it is possible.

That's an assumption, not fact. It's possible that Congress may change the law in the future to treat foreign and domestic (and/or citizen/non-citizen) beneficiaries differently.
It's also possible that Congress could let nonresident citizens collect twice as much as citizens living in the US. Lots of things are possible, but they won't happen.

I could see them stop paying former permanent residents and H1B workers who contributed for 10 years and left the US without getting citizenship, but they're not going to cut off all citizens living overseas unless they're killing the program altogether for everybody. If you want to believe otherwise, that's your problem.

It's also possible that Congress could let nonresident citizens collect twice as much as citizens living in the US. Lots of things are possible, but they won't happen.

It's very likely that Congress will benefit those who vote in the largest numbers. Expatriate citizens are unlikely to meet that criteria. ;)

That makes non sense.

Increasingly you have more and more people leaving country of origin to go abroad, including Americans.

What happens if one works the entire life in the US till 45, then decide to get married, work, etc and go to live God knows where.

That is why as long as you are a citizen, you should get your money no matter what. If not, how one is going to live in retirement? The fact that social security may go broke is another topic though.

That said, from what I read on the SSA website though, they calculate the highest paid payment in 35 years. If you contributed 10 years only, then I would get $800/month.

How likely? Who knows - but it is possible.