Social security number

Am I eligible for SSN with my recommended approval?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raziel

Registered Users (C)
Do you think I can get a social security number with my Recommended Approval ? or I must wait for the final approval.

I'm confused because I noticed in my Recommended Approval that I can get work authorization "it's written in the letter"

I think work authorization is related to SSN... right? how can I work without a SSN

Do you think I can get a social security number with my Recommended Approval ? or I must wait for the final approval.

I'm confused because I noticed in my Recommended Approval that I can get work authorization "it's written in the letter"

I think work authorization is related to SSN... right? how can I work without a SSN

Yes you can get a social security number. The card will have a legend saying that you can work only with permission from the immigration office (they will take out that legend once you are granted formal asylum). You will need to apply for a work permit from immigration. Social security number and work permit (employment authorization document) are two different things. You will need both.

Thank you so much Thankful ;);)

I went today to the social security and showed them the recommended approval "before I get your answer" but they told me I must get the new I-94 stating I'm asylum!! so I must wait for the final approvement where they will send me the new I-94:eek::eek::eek: I didn't accept this answer

I asked him... "how is it that I can get a work permit from the this recommended approval while I can't get SSN?"

he said "well... you can do whatever you want by the recommended approval BUT NOT TO GET A SSN" :mad:

I said "man! I will have the work authorization card in my hand without a SSN !!!! who will employ me without a SSN????"

he just took 1 minute to think then he said "well... bring me the work authorization card and I will issue you a SSN".... so I left

Do those guys know what are they doing? is it correct what he told me?

I'm really in a bad situation... I can't breath air without SSN... I even can't have a driving license :(:(:(

Is there any paper that I can print and take it with me to make him understand that I can get a SSN? anything?

...he said "well... bring me the work authorization card and I will issue you a SSN".... so I left
Which is exactly correct. The SSN office doesn't deal with approval letters and such, they need to see a work permit.

Wd

when I said that recommended approval = work permit... I meant that recommended approval is my way to get work permit so why will SSN staff ignore the recommended approval letter?? why do they ask for the physical work permit as a condition to give me SSN? and only after I discussed the issue with them a lot they said bring the work permit and we will give you SSN

Yes you can get a social security number. The card will have a legend saying that you can work only with permission from the immigration office (they will take out that legend once you are granted formal asylum). You will need to apply for a work permit from immigration. Social security number and work permit (employment authorization document) are two different things. You will need both.

but Thankful... you said that I can get a SSN :eek: and that SSN and work permit are different

You will need to apply for a work permit from immigration .
or did you mean that I must have a work permit card first? sorry :D

another thing ... do I have to wait 150 days before applying for the work permit? I read this in the I-765 instructions

Asylum Applicant (with a pending asylum application)
who filed for asylum on or after January 4, 1995. You must
wait at least 150 days following the filing of your asylum
claim before you are eligible to apply for an EAD. If you file
your EAD application early, it will be denied
or I'm not considered in this category?

Last edited by a moderator:
As my experience, you must wait 150 days after you applied your asylum. When you get your Work Permit Card you can ask SSN too. You may not need SSN to apply your Driving License because DMV lady once told me it's not necessary if you don't have one. But if you have SSN you must prove while you apply your DL. And let's me remind you that you will always need two IDs.

There is a subtle legal distinction here. A recommended approval does not give you permission to work. It merely entitles you to apply to work.

Stop beating around the bush. Go ahead and apply for a work permit NOW. No you do not need to wait 150 days. DO IT NOW

the 150 day period does not apply to people with a recommended approval. In fact, the whole point of giving out recommended approvals is to let people work immediately.

DMV lady once told me it's not necessary if you don't have one.

our Indiana DMV lady said I must have SSN to get DL :( ... although I showed her that I have an expired DL from Florida "expired 2 years ago"

I think they hanged the regulations

Stop beating around the bush. Go ahead and apply for a work permit NOW. No you do not need to wait 150 days. DO IT NOW

yes sir!:) I will mail all the papers tomorrow

As thankful said.... do it...
apply for EAD (your work permit) first.... once you have it in your hands... then go and apply for your SSN. Now once you have this SSN + Work permit in your hands then go and apply for drivers liscense.....

No :D

yes but you are eligible to recive only restricted SS card, you need to take ur work permit card and or any other US ggov ID too.

Or they will mail it for free with the final approvel

I can't wait for them til they finish name check and send me the final approvement... it's the anexity :)

yes but you are eligible to recive only restricted SS card, you need to take ur work permit card and or any other US ggov ID too.

restricted? I don't think so... or at least the SSN staff didn't think so too, I don't have the new I-94... it comes with the final approval... right?

I will wait for the EAD... hope they do it fast :D

Last edited by a moderator:
RAZIEL, U DONT GET UNRESTRICTED SS CARD WITH RECOMENDED APPROVAL.

RA means you haven't been granted asylum yet though it is just a recommendation. it's not finally over due to back round check.

unrestricted for permenenent residents, US citizens and asylees and refugees who recived final approval from AO or a judge .

Sorry jonny1,

Social security staff said I will get unrestricted SS card as soon as I get the work authorization + the recommended approval "without final approvement" !!

without work authorization I will not get any SSn "restricted or non restricted"

restricted SSN is not related to asylum applicants in any way

"asylum" and "restricted" can't be in the same sentence

Sorry jonny1,

Social security staff said I will get unrestricted SS card as soon as I get the work authorization + the recommended approval "without final approvement" !!

without work authorization I will not get any SSn "restricted or non restricted"

restricted SSN is not related to asylum applicants in any way

"asylum" and "restricted" can't be in the same sentence

hate to break it to you but as an asylum applicant you are getting only a restricted social security card.

http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm