Social security number registration for TN

GraphicGirl

Hey there,

I’m headed to boarder soon to apply for my TN. If all goes well, I’d be driving from Niagara Falls to Orlando.
I was wondering if I could apply for my social security number, if I already have an address in Orlando, in any state? Or do I have to apply in the state where I’ll be working.

You can apply from any office, but you should wait a couple of weeks until SSA gets your TN information, as they will check this once they receive the application. Applying too early flags your application and delays it. But you can certainly work without SSN (your employer should know this) and your pay will be held until your number is issued,

When my ex husband applied for his it was about 4 days after he received the TN.
The SS office gave him a form to give to his employer that stated his number and his card would be mailed to him.
He was able to get paid the following paid period. This was all in 2013.
Has that changed since then?

Just an FYI GraphicGirl.....my employer gave me an actual pay check prior to me getting my SSN 2 years ago. I remember having to line up at the Social Security Card Center in Orlando to get the application started. If you haven't done this already, go early in the morning because the crowd lines up outside and it gets pretty hot here in July! They will mail out your card over the next week or so.

And if you haven't received it after 2 weeks, can you just go to the local SSO office and they'll just give it to you right there and then?

Not sure why it has to be mailed. In Canada, they give you your SIN on the spot (if I remember correctly).

SSN cards are not issued at an office; they're produced at a government facility and mailed to an address. The US and Canada are two separate countries with distinct processes.

An employer could technically pay while awaiting an SS number. They withhold taxes on the paycheck following SSN card issuance.

Thanks for the reply. While the cards themselves cannot be issued at an office, can they at least give you a letter containing your number that you can just give to your employer?

No, they will give you a letter saying you applied for a SSN on this date and to expect to receive a SSN card in the mail in about 10-14 days.
They need to verify your legal presence with DHS and confirm you qualify to receive one.
You will not know your SSN until you receive the card in the mail. They will not give it to you over the phone either (security reasons).

I think it would be better to explain my situation:

I applied for SSN on July 19 at the local SSO office, and the guy I spoke with was actually surprised that my I-94 was already in their system and has been verified by DHS considering I just arrived the night before. (Although he did tell me to mention to anyone to wait about a week or two after arriving in the US to apply for an SSN.) The letter he gave me states that I should receive the card within 2 weeks.

Here is my dilemma -- I am currently subleasing a student housing accommodation in one of the university dorms, and apparently, I do not have access to the mailbox. Apparently, the university mailing services checks the names on the letter with the corresponding names on the accommodation, and as a sublease, my name is not on the mailbox. So, there is a likelihood that the SSN mail will be rejected and sent back to sender. I was not aware of this and the girl I am subleasing to would not change the mailbox to my name temporarily since she is expecting some deliveries when she moves back in next month.

So with that in mind, I can either go back to the SSO office on Monday to ask to resend the card to a different address. Or wait until Friday (which will be two weeks since I applied for SSN) and explain my situation, hoping that by then, they will have my SSN in their system and can provide me with a letter containing my SSN that I can show to my employer.

Which do you guys think is a better approach?

Sounds like the university dorm has strict policy to return mail to sender if your name is not on the lease. So it is likely your SSN card will be returned.
If you have time, why not go back to SSO on Monday and explain your situation in person and ask them.
I don't think they will give you your SSN at the office, but you can always ask. (I recall their phone recording specifically saying they will not give you your SSN over the phone).
When I applied in 2015 I used my work address since I did not have a permanent address yet. I received the card in the mail at my office no issues.
The SS offices here in California usually have long lines outside the building so it can take an hour or more just to ask a simple question in person.
You could always try to explain over the phone as well, and see what they recommend. I suspect they will tell you to provide an address they can mail it directly.

In my experience I had to wait for almost 4 weeks before Social Security card turned up in the mail. I visited the SSO but they would not give me my number over the counter. My employer did pay me during this time and withheld the relevant taxes for me.

I don't think most HR people are experienced dealing with TN visas and SSN. The local HR I am working with has told me she asked the payroll team about "any comments/notes for me related to legal authorization to continue to working". OMG, I have legal authorization to working in the US as evidenced by my TN status and I-94, which she has. But because I don't have an SSN (given that I only arrived here last week), she is now questioning my legal right to work in the US!

Just an update (to answer my questions previously in case someone else is in the same situation): I went to the SSO to ask if they can mail my card to a different address. The guy at the counter said that they can't as it has already been processed, but (the good news) he wrote down my SSN on the paper he gave me last week. I gave HR that letter, so that's all good. I still have to show them the card when it arrives (not sure why).