Social Security Number Not received

ansarianas

Registered Users (C)
We(My Self , Wife & Daughter of 6 year old) had our CP interview done in Mumbai in June of this year & received Green Card in Plastic after coming back to USA....we received Plastic card for all of us & SSN only for my self & wife
We haven't recived SSN # for out daughter...could anyone please advise what
to do...where to go ...where to call to get SSN for out daughter?

I really really wonder how long you have been in the US!

Go to http://www.ssa.gov/ and call the toll free number to inquire. Else, you can personally visit your local SSA ( Social Security Administration) office and inquire.

If the SSA has not received any information from the USCIS, call Customer Service at the National Service Center of USCIS ( www.uscis.gov).

Hey: I had very clearly indicated on the DS-230 Pt. II that I'd like for the SSA to send a new card. A few weeks after I got my plastic card I got tired of waiting and went to our local SSA office and applied for a new card. I had to show my Permanent Resident Card and a driver's license. The replacement SS card arrived in the mail yesterday, about 10 business days after I applied. The only caveat: SS offices tend to be crowded, so expect a delay. I had to wait about 1h15.

Yeah, same here. Went to the SSA here and the clerk filled out my application herself online. SS card should follow suit pretty soon. GS28, how's the post-GC life?

Card received: 9/27/05

Hi,

I recd my New SSN card (looks exactly like old with same number).
I never applied for it or anything. I don't know how come I recd it without applying for it.

Also do I need to check for anything in particular in new SSN card?

I haven't recd the welcome letter or the card yet.

GCChaahiye, have you recd welcome letter or the Card yet?

gca2405 said:
Hi,

I recd my New SSN card (looks exactly like old with same number).
I never applied for it or anything. I don't know how come I recd it without applying for it.

Also do I need to check for anything in particular in new SSN card?

I haven't recd the welcome letter or the card yet.

GCChaahiye, have you recd welcome letter or the Card yet?

Yes, we received our welcome letters about 10 days ago and believe, the plastic cards are on their way. Also received SSN Card.

The only difference between the old and the new card is, there will be no conditions printed above your SSN number in the new card. In the old card, you will see something like "not eligible to work without authorization." or something like this. This phrase you will not see in your new card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my understanding about new SSN Card:

No matter what you mention in your DS230, the USCIS will inform SSA and SSA will automatically process a new card for you and mail it. You do not have to even go to the SSA to apply for a new card.

This is more likely in the case of dependents who are on non-working visas, perhaps as a "goodwill gesture" on the part of USCIS to let them start work without any more delay.

Just my guess.

However, in some instances, due to some reason, the SSA may not receive such notification from USCIS in which case, you will not get a new SSN card automatically without applying for it at a SSA office and then the SSA will contact USCIS to confirm the eligibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine without calling SSN office or applying it

Anyways ... I am waiting for my welcome letter and Card

let me know when u get the Card

Thanks for info

GCChaahiye
<<I really really wonder how long you have been in the US!>>

Thanks for your help, I don't understand why you ask that...
I know that I can get the number from SS office it's just that
Forms for CP interview I have requested SSN for all of us and
two of us got the SSN & except for my daughter...

BTW, I have completed 5 years in USA...