Social security number and credit cards after green card

Bramb90

Hello, I have had my green card for 2 and a half years now, however, any time I apply for a new credit card (or even any time my social security card number needs to be checked for credit score, for example a new phone plan), I can never be instantly approved and I am sent to secondary check or I am asked to send in some documentation. It seems like there is something going on with my social security number, but I am not sure what that might be. I just recently applied for a new card, and once again, I ran into this problem; they are requesting a picture of my SS card this time. Has anyone run into this issue or know what might be causing it?

Hello, I have had my green card for 2 and a half years now, however, any time I apply for a new credit card (or even any time my social security card number needs to be checked for credit score, for example a new phone plan), I can never be instantly approved and I am sent to secondary check or I am asked to send in some documentation. It seems like there is something going on with my social security number, but I am not sure what that might be. I just recently applied for a new card, and once again, I ran into this problem; they are requesting a picture of my SS card this time. Has anyone run into this issue or know what might be causing it?

Might be worth opening a creditkarma account (free online), to check your credit record and also see if there are credit applications you don’t recognize. Not sure what your issue is but 2 possibilities that spring to mind are a thin credit file (though after 2.5 years that seems unlikely), or someone else is using your SSN.

I have creditkarma and I have started building credit back in 2013. I have an excellent score. I initially obtained my SSC when I started working under my F-1 visa. Once I got my green card, I was told I had to go back to the social security office to remove some limitation on my SS, but I was never issued a new number. :confused:

Even on mint.com, they are unable to access my information through my SSN. Also, it isn't associated with any state as the first 3 digits fall in the 741-749 range. Edit: I just found out that a social security number starting with a 7 is considered a nonresidential alien! Which would make sense, considering I got it when I was a student.

Last edited:
Even on mint.com, they are unable to access my information through my SSN. Also, it isn't associated with any state as the first 3 digits fall in the 741-749 range. Edit: I just found out that a social security number starting with a 7 is considered a nonresidential alien! Which would make sense, considering I got it when I was a student.

So you did AOS? Did you contact the SSA and give them evidence that your SSN needed to now reflect your new resident status? That would certainly be a valid reason for your problem.
https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/340...nge-my-work-status-on-my-Social-Security-card

I have no idea what mint.com is. Did you try creditkarma?

Incidentally it’s nonsense that 7 means a nonresidential alien. One of ours starts with a 7 and we only had SSNs once we got our green cards, and never had any problem with credit etc on that SSN.

Last edited:
The information about SSNs linked to zip code etc is outdated since 2011. If you got your original SSN before then, then perhaps it does mean what you think it does, but numbers have been randomized since 2011:

https://www.ssa.gov/employer/randomization.html

SSN randomization ...eliminated the geographical significance of the first three digits of the SSN, referred to as the area number, by no longer allocating the area numbers for assignment to individuals in specific states.

It also mentions previously unassigned numbers being used now, and from what I’ve read I think this includes the 7s, hence ours being fine.

Last edited:
Oh ok great! Thank you for the link Susie. I did do AOS and yes, I believe I went to the SSoffice for that exact reason. I remember showing them my green card to prove I had become a permanent resident.

I have been on creditkarma for a couple years now. Everything looks fine on there as far as credit inquiries is concerned and like I said, I do have an "excellent score".

Mint.com has just implemented a credit score similar to what creditkarma has. It asks you some questions, but somehow an error is generated when I submit because apparently my answers don't match the facts. Not too concerned with that, but I feel it is all connected somehow.

Since you’re entitled to a free annual credit report from the three nationwide credit reporting companies: TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian, I suggest you reach out to them to see what they have on you. You can reach out individually or use the central website to request your free annual report and do a comparison of what they all have on you.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0155-free-credit-reports

Sounds like there might be a mismatch somewhere in the database. As in a name, or an address, or an open/closed credit account isn't jibing with the data you are providing when accessing your credit file.
As others mentioned, if you have not already, I would look at each individual reporter (TransUnion/Equifax/Experian). You get one free credit report a year from each.

Information Resources and ways to improve credit score: Find out ways on How to improve and Raise Your Credit Score Fast and more at improvecredit.org