social security # change after green card ?

delmar

Registered Users (C)
Just got the I-551 stamp in my passport; my existing social security card says "valid ID for work only with INS authorization". Is it practice to be given a new (restriction -free) card / number ? If so, how does one obtain this ?

Just got the I-551 stamp in my passport; my existing social security card says "valid ID for work only with INS authorization". Is it practice to be given a new (restriction -free) card / number ? If so, how does one obtain this ?

Go to the SSA office and request a new card.

I would say wait for about 2 weeks before you go to the SSN office so that the records are updated. I have heard of many cases where people go to SSN office immeadiately after getting GC & they just get sent back

I went immediately after obtaining my GC.
SSN did not change.
Like a week later, I received a new card without the " INS authorization required to work".

I redid my card last month. It took about 12 calendar days to arrive. My GC was approved in July, so when I applied in September there was no excess delay caused by it not yet being updated in the system. I've had an SSN since I was a student back in the early 1990s, and it's good to finally get rid of that "not valid blah blah".

Hi, I won DV2008. I had SSN in 1992 (expired 1996) when I was on the job training for one year with J1 visa. Could I use / extend that SSN or should I ask for new one when I enter USA after my PR approved next year?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I won DV2008. I had SSN in 1992 (expired 1996) when I was on the job training for one year with J1 visa. Could I use / extend that SSN or should I ask for new one when I enter USA after my PR approved next year?.
Apply for a new card, using the same old number you had back then. You'll get a new card, but the number will be the same. When you go to the SS office to apply, take your old card with you if you have it.

Once you get an SSN, you are supposed to keep the same number for life, regardless of your immigration status.

Apply for a new card, using the same old number you had back then. You'll get a new card, but the number will be the same. When you go to the SS office to apply, take your old card with you if you have it.

Once you get an SSN, you are supposed to keep the same number for life, regardless of your immigration status.

Jack,
Quick question. I got GC 2 months back and i need to change my SSN yet. But a letter in my middle name is incorrectly spelled in my SSN like instead of N, there is W....i guess there was a typo.
So, i could also request for correction of middle name along with SSN updation?

I got GC 2 months back and i need to change my SSN yet. But a letter in my middle name is incorrectly spelled in my SSN like instead of N, there is W....i guess there was a typo.
So, i could also request for correction of middle name along with SSN updation?
Yes. You can do that. In Dallas it took 5 weeks for Social Security Card to arrive compared to just 1 week for person who did not request the correction.

Yes. You can do that. In Dallas it took 5 weeks for Social Security Card to arrive compared to just 1 week for person who did not request the correction.

Thank you

oh really 5 weeks time? Because i am planning to move to different city(same state) in Dec month, so if i apply now, then if i don't get it by then, i would end up losing my new SSN. I guess i would apply for SSN change/updation after moving to new place.

Dear All,

I have another question. I would like to know whether ID card also has SSN in it or not. I just realize that the one I had 15 years ago was ID card not SSN card.

Social Security Number WILL NOT be in any Government document except the SSN Card itself.

You might know - being in the US for a very long time - that SSN number is a sensitive one and should not be seen - not just shared - by others?

Dear All,

I have another question. I would like to know whether ID card also has SSN in it or not. I just realize that the one I had 15 years ago was ID card not SSN card.

I finally received my new SS Card. It took exactly one week for the new card to arrive. I went to the office after almost five and half months of getting the GC. The officer just asked for my application and the Green Card. He returned the Green Card and took the application. No questions asked. I did not have to show my passport or DL. It was a pleasant experience considering I used to haul a bunch of documents whenever I went around DMV offices or used to go out of the country.

Hi,

I haven't received any notification to get the I-551 stamped on my passport after receiving the card back in July 07.

I will be travelling out of the country in few weeks and wondering if it's mandatory to get it stamped in the passport?

Thanks

Mahesh

I haven't received any notification to get the I-551 stamped on my passport after receiving the card back in July 07.

I will be travelling out of the country in few weeks and wondering if it's mandatory to get it stamped in the passport?
How does your question have anything to do with SSN?

Use the Search function and you'll find the answer to your question.

Hi Whacko,

Since the original question talked about the I551 stamp, I had that question.
BTW - Thanks for the smarty idea to use the search function :)

Although it probably feels good, it is not necessary to get rid of the condition on the SSN card. At least my GC says "The person identified by this card is authorized to work and reside in the U.S." Showing your GC with SSN card should be valid proof of INS authorization. Am I wrong?