site visit

docboston

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone in texas had a site visit from the state health department? I got a message today from the conrad 30 contact guy that they are planning a site visit. Anyone with prior expirience please let me know what to expect.
Thanx

Answer my own question

Seems like no body ever had this expirience. Let me share what happened:
Quick back ground:
I started waiver in Tx on July 1st 2005. The Tx state health dept has been calling me every 6 months like clock work, making sure I am still working in the underserved area, so far it had just been friendly chit chat. This year in October I again got the call, but this time he wanted to come and visit the site. I didnt know what to expect and what he was looking into. SO I collected all patient sign in sheets for the last 3 years, assuming he will be wanting to see if I have been working per my contract.
On the day of the visit, he came along with a new recruit he had. Wanted me to show him around the clinic. Wanted to meet all my staff. Also took a mug shot of me before he left. Apparently he wanted to get a feel of what its like for physicians to be working in an underserved areas. He also had a questionnaire for me to fill out, mainly dealing with how my expirience has been with the employer, and what advise I would give to other prospective J1s coming here.
Overall, not an unpleasant expirience, except for the 1 week of worry it triggered.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think we will start to see more of these soon. Recently there was an investigative piece in the Las Vegas Sun newspaper about the treatment/abuse being rendered to J1 waiver physicians, that led to a lot of outcry and even a state legislative hearing where a former J1 waiver doctor testified. A few follow up articles and letters followed.
Part of the problem was that it seemed as though when they were notified of these abuses the Nevada dep't of health was more in a cover up mode. It was also brought to the attention of Sens. Reid and Conrad at the federal level and their offices responded as well. I hope this will lead to improvements and safeguards in the program when it is due for reauthorisation next year. I think State Dep'ts of health are going to be more scrutinised for their supervision of these programs, they may be gearing up for that.

Last edited by a moderator: