Sister with GC, Son is American

Arun.

My son is 13, we have hopes of emmigrating from Canaduh to the US. My sister is married to an American and can get citizenship. If she obtains citizenship, is it any faster than having her sponsor me for permanent residency? From what I understand, it would take up to a year for our son to sponsor us after he turns 21, but possibly 10 years for my sister. Any advice appreciated.

My son is 13, we have hopes of emmigrating from Canaduh to the US. My sister is married to an American and can get citizenship. If she obtains citizenship, is it any faster than having her sponsor me for permanent residency? From what I understand, it would take up to a year for our son to sponsor us after he turns 21, but possibly 10 years for my sister. Any advice appreciated.

It takes about a year average from application to getting citizenship at present, and the wait time for sibling petitions is currently around 13.5 years and tends to get longer every year so you’re probably looking at minimum 15 years and likely longer for a sibling petition, assuming your sister is already eligible to file for naturalization.

For your son, bear in mind there are domicile and financial requirements to sponsor immigrants. He will have to be living in the US and earning enough to meet the financial guidelines, or get a co-sponsor for the finances. Particularly if he goes to college, he may not be able to meet these requirements as soon as he turns 21.

Thanks very much, would it be possible to have my sister and her husband assist him in sponsoring us?