Signature on picture on Naturalization Cert

chola

Registered Users (C)
As my wife & I were checking the Naturalization certificate, I noticed that I "printed" my name on the picture whereas she signed her name. I did what I was told and so did she.

The USCIS folks advised all to sign the certificate exactly the same way as it appears on the picture. I clarified thrice, and was told to "print" as it appears on the picture (as I had printed my name on the pic).

I hope the passport guys don't have a problem with the printed name on the cert instead of the signature. Its amazing that the IO wouldn't explain that I should sign the pic & not print!
chola

I'm in a similar boat ... I was told to "write" my name on my photo and when I asked for a clarification, the lady told me to write my name any way I wanted. I ended up printing my name on the photo but once I go through my oath ceremony, I plan to sign my full cursive signature on my certificate. I looked this up and there are people who did what I intend to do and they had no issues with getting their passports.

I had my oath in the morning, and went back in the afternoon seeking clarification about print vs. signature. They didn't let me in, but a person working there (didn't read her badge), spoke to me. She listened to my concerns and said - write your name "exactly" as it appears on the picture. She repeated it a couple of times, and said I'll be just fine.

I later called the State Dept customer service as well. They said they just care for the signature on the cert and whats on the picture to be the same name and not a different name. They don't care about the style - just has to be legible.
chola

That's good feedback to hear from the State Dept customer service. Anyway this matches the experience for those who said that they had printed their names of their photos but had signed their names cursively on their Naturalization certificate ... they had no issues getting their passports from the State Dept.

Interesting.....& confusing :) I guess I'm leaning towards printing on the nat. cert - as this is an DHS/USCIS document, and it would only make sense to follow the DHS/USCIS advise.

I always sign X.Name ...including my drivers license. But the immigration docs have the expanded version.
Now, how do I sign the "passport application"? and should that not match the drivers license copy? and the nat. cert?
OMG....this is f*** insane!!
chola

Interesting.....& confusing :) I guess I'm leaning towards printing on the nat. cert - as this is an DHS/USCIS document, and it would only make sense to follow the DHS/USCIS advise.

I always sign X.Name ...including my drivers license. But the immigration docs have the expanded version.
Now, how do I sign the "passport application"? and should that not match the drivers license copy? and the nat. cert?
OMG....this is f*** insane!!
chola

I plan to sign my Nat Cert with my full cursive signature and then for my passport app, I will sign using my normal signature which is an abbreviated version of my full cursive signature.

The way you sign your certificate (regular signature VS cursive writing or printing ) does not affect it's validity and more importantly the validity of your US citizenship status.
Sign your passport application the way you sign your name everyday.

You know something Bobsmyth? I just only now paid attention to your N-400 timeline in your signature and see that yours took well over 14 months and am wondering why I am muttering about my 6.5 month timeline! (I suppose relative to everyone else who have been applying lately, mine is taking twice as long on average and that is what is jarring, but it seems so minor compared to what you had to wait for).

My interviewing IO told me to type my name on the photos, so I decided to type my name on the certificate as well. I signed my passport application using my illegible signature, and received the passport without a problem. My wife typed her name on the photos but wrote her full name on certificate in cursive. She signed her passport application using short cursive signature, and also did not have any problem.

You know something Bobsmyth? I just only now paid attention to your N-400 timeline in your signature and see that yours took well over 14 months and am wondering why I am muttering about my 6.5 month timeline! (I suppose relative to everyone else who have been applying lately, mine is taking twice as long on average and that is what is jarring, but it seems so minor compared to what you had to wait for).
I was stuck in the 2007 fee increase backlog. It was common to have to wait over 1 year back then.The USCIS posted average today is just over 5 months, but mind you that is based on goals rather than actual processing times.

The IO asked me to "write" my name on the pictures. When I asked how to write it (having read many of the threads here) he said to write it in my normal handwriting as I normally write spelling out all names (no initials). So I did that (in European style cursive). I signed my Nat Cert with my normal signature which is a little different from my normal handwriting but the first letters of first and last name are pretty much the same. During my oath ceremony we did not get any instructions on how to sign the Nat Cert so other than the words on the Nat Cert (Complete and true signature of holder) I had no official guidance.
I signed my passport application again with my normal signature.
The lady at the post office where I submitted my PP application only verified that pictures on the Nat Cert and for my PP showed the same person (me) and that names and dates matched exactly between all docs submitted so from my experience I am not sure they verify the signatures specifically.
I got my PP in 4 weeks (standard service)

Had to go to the Clerk of Court's office (acceptance facility) to do my PP - near where I work.

I explained to the officer behind the desk about the entire signature confusion. She said "sir, sign this certificate like you are going to sign the PP application, and the same style as it appears on the drivers license. You are doing this in front of me, under oath, and I am putting the seal of the court on this paper. You are going to be just fine". And I did.

That signature is cursive, and the same one I do on checks. It is quite illegible!
Time to say a prayer and get a drink!! Will know if it worked in 2 weeks.
chola

The way you sign your certificate (regular signature VS cursive writing or printing ) does not affect it's validity and more importantly the validity of your US citizenship status.
Sign your passport application the way you sign your name everyday.

Bobsmyth, I hope you are right. I probably have gnawed my brain thinking abt this.
chola

Got our passports in just 1 week. It was quite a relief.
My illegible signature on the Nat cert worked. Thanks to all in this forum for the counsel over the years. Great forum.
OCI next
chola

Got our passports in just 1 week. It was quite a relief.
My illegible signature on the Nat cert worked. Thanks to all in this forum for the counsel over the years. Great forum.
OCI next
chola

Congrats chola! That was pretty quick turnaround for the passports ... did you do normal or expedited processing on it? So you signed the Nat Cert and the passport app with a cursive signature that is your normal signature right? Is the signature an abbreviated version of your full official name?

Thanks JP.
The wait for the PP is a bit painful - you are stuck and unable to travel in case of any emergency. So I went for the expedited service. Took exactly 7 days for approval (online status change), and 8 days for delivery of the book.

My signature is very stylish & you really can't say what it says. It has my last name as initial only, and the first & middle as cursive scribble.

I showed the clerk of court where I applied for the PP all 3 options - name printed (as in the picture), full name cursive written legibly, and the scribble.
She checked my drivers license - it has the scribble.
She asked me how I planned to sign the PP application - I said the scribble.
She replied, then put the same scribble on the nat cert. I want them to be the same on all 3 places. I did.

Good luck to you.
chola