Sign Your Passport in Ink (No Ballpoint Pens)?!

marco2009

Registered Users (C)
I am puzzled with newcitizen site recommendation about signing passport:

"6. Sign Your Passport in Ink (No Ballpoint Pens)
Please sign it in ink using a felt-tip, rollerball or calligraphy-type pen (no ballpoint pens)."

I do not understand why not I can use regular ballpoint pen to sign passport? What type of pen have you used?

I am puzzled with newcitizen site recommendation about signing passport:

"6. Sign Your Passport in Ink (No Ballpoint Pens)
Please sign it in ink using a felt-tip, rollerball or calligraphy-type pen (no ballpoint pens)."

I do not understand why not I can use regular ballpoint pen to sign passport? What type of pen have you used?

I am not sure, but I think it has to do with ball-pen ink not being so secure, because it would be easier for someone who steals your certificate to erase your signature and put another one. I guess the other types of ink are more forgery resistant.

You might have a felt-tip pen around somewhere. I forgot, but I think I used a rollerball pen, perhaps a felt-tip.

My 2 cents.

My guess is that most (if not all) ball-point inks fade quicker and/or are easier to forge since they dry quickly and don't get absorbed (bleed) into the passport paper fiber. A felt ink on the other hand bleeds into the paper and remains a permanent fixture of the fiber.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think when they say ink they mean a pen, as opposed to a pencil. Were those specific instructions on an official form?

My guess is that most (if not all) ball-point inks fade quicker and/or are easier to forge since they dry quickly and don't get absorbed (bleed) into the passport paper fiber. A felt ink on the other hand bleeds into the paper and remains a permanent fixture of the fiber.

At oath, we were given ballpoint pen to sign our naturalization certificate in front of officers.

It boils down to what a recommendation is vs what a requirement is. In the end the choice is yours..it doesn't mean you have to follow it.