Should I leave employer or NOT ??

puneet_gcard

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus.
I have a simple question. Got my GC in Sep 2004. Company is downsizing. Keeps announcing layoffs every year. I am getting paid peanuts like 50K. New jobs are offering atleast 75 k with my skill set.

Should I stick it out for atleast 1 year with current employer or shall I give him the boot? :D

Should I consult with any attorney or is he/she goin to say the same old thing again.

I want to become a citizen and dont wanna take risks. But I do wanna make more money..... What the heck should I do...... :confused: :confused:

This 6 months/1 year rule is confusing the shit outta me....... :( :(

Regards to All !!!!

puneet_gcard said:
Hi Gurus.
I have a simple question. Got my GC in Sep 2004. Company is downsizing. Keeps announcing layoffs every year. I am getting paid peanuts like 50K. New jobs are offering atleast 75 k with my skill set.

Should I stick it out for atleast 1 year with current employer or shall I give him the boot? :D

Should I consult with any attorney or is he/she goin to say the same old thing again.

I want to become a citizen and dont wanna take risks. But I do wanna make more money..... What the heck should I do...... :confused: :confused:

This 6 months/1 year rule is confusing the shit outta me....... :( :(

Regards to All !!!!

Think of a good reason, collect necessary documents to prove that you had projects in sep.2004 and give your company the boot. The 6 months thing is only a rule of thumb, 1 year is the rule made by pessimists. The risk you are taking by leaving your emp. between 6-12 months is <1%, so its upto you to take it.

hipka said:
Think of a good reason, collect necessary documents to prove that you had projects in sep.2004 and give your company the boot. The 6 months thing is only a rule of thumb, 1 year is the rule made by pessimists. The risk you are taking by leaving your emp. between 6-12 months is <1%, so its upto you to take it.

I am leaving the company after one month. I cannot imagine how it matters to uscis. ucscis does not work for any indian company intrests meaning that we are staying with same firm and make sure that parent company continues to F you. All it cares is that you did not violate any govt laws and you pay taxes regularly. I mean you can change job any day after getting the green card , it should not harm you. But this is totally my opinion. Who knows after 5 years india might look better and we may all prefer to move to india instead or the present jobs will only pay 50k .Just take it.

murthy_janaki said:
I am leaving the company after one month. I cannot imagine how it matters to uscis. ucscis does not work for any indian company intrests meaning that we are staying with same firm and make sure that parent company continues to F you. All it cares is that you did not violate any govt laws and you pay taxes regularly. I mean you can change job any day after getting the green card , it should not harm you. But this is totally my opinion. Who knows after 5 years india might look better and we may all prefer to move to india instead or the present jobs will only pay 50k .Just take it.

The sad fact is that immigration laws were designed primarily to cater to the labor needs of companies. Prior to AC21 the govt. expected you to come to the US on H-1 to work only for the sponsor and get out in case you lost your job. The greencard was also designed to cater to a permanent position of the sponsor, there was no question of leaving the sponsor. There was also a rule that you had to work for 2yrs after GC approval.
During the 90's boom companies became greedy for labor and got the govt. to remove the 2yr rule and pass AC21 in order to free up labor. Ac21 stated that one could change jobs before GC approval but did not talk about anything after approval(probably another law was planned). Then the economy crashed and AC21 was forgotten.
So currently there are no regulations on how long one has to work after GC approval. Historically the govt. has not liked people changing jobs after GC approval. However in the past 10yrs even the govt. has relaxed somewhat.
So if you think that in the future the govt. will get strict again then don't change, if you feel they will continue to be relaxed then change, or you can take the middle approach and work for at least 6 months. Hope this satisfies the raging debate!!!

puneet_gcard said:

Why don't you set an availability date of mid-March. That'll be six months to minimize any worry come naturalization time, and it means you have enough time to find the right job for you.

You might find that such a deliberate delay will assist you in finding the right job, not the first good one that comes by.

puneet_gcard, if I am in your situation, I will start looking for new job immediately and grab first good job. As somebody mentioned about waiting for some timeframe, does not make sense to me. As that wait is not going to help if at all CIS raise concerns about "intent after GC" part. Then Why to wait!!!! Did you talk with your lawyer about this?? I would do that as well. Consult lawyer, won't cost more than $100 to get advice on this q/s. Let us all know, your lawyers opinion.