Should I get a new visa while waiting for the Waiver Recommendation?

I am wondering if I should travel while waiting for the NOS. My current visa expires may 2016 and but my ds2019 is valid until Dec 2016.

I am a Dominican Grad student on a J1. I would like to go home this April to renew my visa in order to be able to travel in September to Europe. Since I have already sent my end of the documents to the WRD, I am not sure if getting a new visa would hurt my case.

My other hesitation is if traveling before or after the waiver is issued would cause me a problem since the process has been started. Any thoughts? I am very worried at this point. HELP! What should I do?