Shoul I start worry?

annv

Registered Users (C)
Sent my EAD renewal form and have post office return receipt stamped December 3, but INS still did not cash my check or send receipt. I thought that I might missed some document and they going to sent it back to me, but it is getting to late for that to. Should I start to worry? Do you think I should send a duplicate application?

No Title

Hi Annv,

I\'m sure you are already aware of the instructions like if you have a pending I-485 you need to send your EAD renewal to the same INS offce where your I-485 was filed, also that you do not need to file until 90 days before your current EAD expires etc.

I hope you kept the form that came with your last EAD card because there is a portion of that form that you are suppose to send in with your new EAD application. It supposedly speed up your EAD renewal time.

You can also go to your local INS district office and obtain an interim EAD card if INS has not sent you a new EAD card. The notice actually says 90 days after you get receipt from INS, but in your case I don\'t know if your local INS office will accept the post office receipt.

I also recommend you read the filing instructions at:
http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-765.pdf

No Title

Hi Annv,

If it makes you feel any better it took 2 months and 2 weeks to get my new EAD the last time.
 I think you should inquire first with the INS office where you sent your EAD renewal application. Most asylees don\'t know that if they have a pending I-485 they are suppose to send their EAD renewal appications to the same office. So when this mistake it made there can be delays.

No Title

Hi Annv, if you are filing as a(5), you should have sent your EAD application to Nebraska Service Center. The same applies if you are filing as c(9) and your I-485 aplication was filed after July 98 at NSC.
If that is your case, call NSC talk to a IO, they will ask for your Alien Number and will provide the information you want to know. Did you include signature card in your application? There is a recent posting from INS saying the Signature Card is mandatory. Good luck

No Title

I did send my application to Nebraska and I attached a part of my last year card. Last year they sent it back to me in 2 weeks. I would not worry, if I got receipt from them, because I know it might take longer this year. But I worried, that they still did not cash my check. Usually they really fast. I sent for my RTD renewal, they cashed check in the same day my post office receipt marked and I received my INS receipt in 2 business day. I worried, that they might lost my letter or just misplaced it.

No Title

Call NSC and find out what\'s going on. INS web site has their phone number. Yeah, I would be worried too if I were in your place.

BTW, they will increased the EAD renewal fee to $120 starting from February 2002. I actually sent a letter of appeal to the INS before 09/11/01 asking them to waive refugees and asylees from the fee increase.

I mailed a duplicate

I decided to send a duplicate. They obviosly lost my application.

No Title

Hi Annv,

Did you inquire with the office before you sent out another application?
 Make sure you understand the difference between a(5) and c(9). I made that mistake back in 1999 and it took me almost 5 months to get a new card.

No Title

Nobody is working and there is no point calling them. If I at least had my INS receipt, I could go to Federal Plaza, but post office receipt is not a valid proof. It is my 10th EAD since I came to US and 5th under A5, so I guess this was bound to happen sooner or later. Thanks god I mailed my application in almost 81 days advance. I have more than month until my expiration date.

No Title

Yeah, I forgot about the holidays.
I think I have mentioned before that I also did not get an official INS receipt for my I-485 application. I had to hang-on to my post office receipt. I was unable to inquire whether they received my I-485 app or not because every time I went to that office (1997 to 1999) the guard would just point at the notice that says "We are not taking any inquiries about I-485s filed before July 1996."
 Finally in August of 2000 they replied to me saying "Yes we have your application, it takes 38 to 40 months to process such application."

If this is your 10th EAD does that mean you have been in the US under asylum status for 10 years? And I think you should have put down c(9) if you have a pending I-485 application.

Too bad you didn\'t get a receipt from INS because if you did you can go to a local district office with the receipt and get an interim EAD.

I STRONGLY wish that the AILF representative asks the IIO in the next liason meeting whether asylees still need to renew their EADs, now that the DHHS has issued us unrestricted SS cards. The wording in the SS letter says "The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) now considers aliens granted asylum to have permanent employment authorization incident to asylee status..." But when I called NSC the IIO told me we still need to renew our EADs. What\'s up with all the discrepencies? Sometimes it amazes me how this great nation is being run by people like that.

No Title

I was under c09 from 92 to 97 and now I under a05 for another 5 years. I am not very worried, because I have a stamp in my RTD "employment authorized indefinitely", but I would feel much better, if I had INS receipt, I could go to Federal Plaza to get interim EAD.
It must be really unnerving not to have I-485 receipt. Did you try to write to your congressman and senators?

No Title

Could you tell me how did you get your RTD stamped? Did you get it done by traveling aboard and reenter US? Since I received my RTD, I don\'t see an "employment authorized indefinitely" anywhere.

If INS does give the permission "employment authorized indefinitely", why do we have to renew the EAD every year(add pay $100+)? Your input appreaciate!

No Title

c(9) = people with I-485 pending
A(5) = Asylee filing EAD for the first time

If you didn\'t choose the correct category the delay can be as bad as 5 months.

Yes, it was very "unnerving" in the beginning. But now I have a letter from the INS saying my I-485 application is with them, and I also have my I-485 interview receipt, so I\'m ok now.

Alanpero and I have been doing the letter writing since early 2000. Not that I have lost hope in it, but I have never gotten anything better than the usual generic reply letters. The anthrax scare at the Congressional offices makes things worse now.

The asylee adjustment situation is really hopeless. And since I have already waited over 4 years I am hesitant to file another I-485 app under EB etc. The best thing to do is get it off your mind and get on with your daily business.
 The Senate Subcommittee on Immigration is well aware of the delays with the asylee adjustment cases. They are also aware of the hardships us asylees are going through. But they have bigger national interests to worry about and they cant be bothered with our little problems right now.

No Title

I think Annv was referring to his I-94. Sometimes the IOs at airports/land enterpoints etc staple the I-94 to the passport or RTD. But then again I could be wrong.

No Title

In JFK they stamp both RTD and I-94. When I travelled before they usually put expiration date one year ahead(as of May 2001). But this December, it was stamped indefinitely. Obviously rules are changing. I am not sure how September 11 affected it, but I think it is a possibility, that we don\'t have to renew our EAD anymore - though then they will lose their application fee, which make it unlikely

No Title

In JFK they stamp both RTD and I-94. When I travelled before they usually put expiration date one year ahead(as of May 2001). But this December, it was stamped indefinitely. Obviously rules are changing. I am not sure how September 11 affected it, but I think it is a possibility, that we don\'t have to renew our EAD any more - though then they will lose their application fee, which make it unlikely

No Title

Suppose the IO at airport gave you the wrong expiration datre for the I-94, do you have to pay a fee to get a corrected I-94 at local office.

No Title

He did once. He put today date instead today+year. Of course I noticed it immediately(I guess by now we all check expiration date by reflex). I told him and he corrected the date. Did not even bother to make a new card

No Title

Did anyone renewed their EAD recently. I sent 2nd application(I assumed, that first was lost) and still nothing. It is 10th time I renew EAD and nothing like that happened before. Is it possible that they changed laws and we do not need EAD, so that they do not process A5 applications? BTW my new RTD was back in 6 weeks.