Short trip to 'activate' Permanent residence at POE

jaybee78

Hi

I am a US Citizen (from birth) currently living in England with my Husband (British). Last week he had his US immigration (green card) approved at the US embassy. Due to the time lapse waiting for an interview, the Medical is due to expire on 5 Feb 2016.

We were hoping to permanently move to the US in around April/May to be able to tie things up in the UK. I have a couple of questions if anybody has been through similar:

1, Is it possible to book a round trip to the States prior to this date to 'activate' the permanent residence and then fly back to the UK until the permanent move? We would be providing my parents address for the 'green card' to be sent to as this is where we intend to live until we are settled.

2. I am the sole Sponsor on the i-864 Affidavit. Would I need to accompany my husband on this 'short' trip if he is planning on returning to the UK? (we will both be entering together when we travel to take up permanent residence?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

1. Yes. The green card will be sent to the address on DS-260. If it's different from your parents' then change the address @USCIS website.
2. No. Your presence is not required.

Thanks for the response Bostonkreme. This is the british husband. Forgive me, but I have received conflicting advice regarding this. I have now received my IV sealed envelope and visa in uk passport. Are you saying it would be ok for me to travel alone to US for a weekend in order to have my visa stamped and permanent residence card sent out. We are hoping to both travel permanently in around April. It's just while filling out i-864 etc, it stated my wife would have to reestablish domicile before or at the same time as me. In the cover letter for IV it just says let the immigration officer know if I plan to travel outside the states before card is received.

It is a very confusing process!

What kind of conflicting advice have you received? It's a rather simple process in your case. You've already received everything to enter the US as a permanent resident. Once you enter the US, you'll be taken aside to process for the green card (they'll take the sealed envelope and stamp the passport with your visa category. This can take anywhere from few minutes to couple hours depending on how busy they are at the moment). Then you just have to wait for the green card which will be sent to the address on your DS-260. Once you're in the US, you can go back to the UK anytime (as long as you're not spending an extended period of time overseas). Regarding the I-864, didn't your wife use a US address (her parents' perhaps?) At any rate, the affidavit of support process has been already completed (and approved by the USCIS), so your visit to the US should not be affected by I-864 at all. The bottom line is you already received the sealed envelope and the visa. In short, as long as you've paid the immigration fee, your green card will be processed and issued once you enter the US. Then you can go anywhere you want even before receiving the actual green card (takes anywhere from a month to several months) as long as you're not out of the US for an extended period of time.

What kind of conflicting advice have you received? It's a rather simple process in your case. You've already received everything to enter the US as a permanent resident. Once you enter the US, you'll be taken aside to process for the green card (they'll take the sealed envelope and stamp the passport with your visa category. This can take anywhere from few minutes to couple hours depending on how busy they are at the moment). Then you just have to wait for the green card which will be sent to the address on your DS-260. Once you're in the US, you can go back to the UK anytime (as long as you're not spending an extended period of time overseas). Regarding the I-864, didn't your wife use a US address (her parents' perhaps?) At any rate, the affidavit of support process has been already completed (and approved by the USCIS), so your visit to the US should not be affected by I-864 at all. The bottom line is you already received the sealed envelope and the visa. In short, as long as you've paid the immigration fee, your green card will be processed and issued once you enter the US. Then you can go anywhere you want even before receiving the actual green card (takes anywhere from a month to several months) as long as you're not out of the US for an extended period of time.

Hi again

I'm happy with the fact that once I enter I cam leave again to get everything sorted. The thing that is bothering me is the fact that my wife/sponsor won't be there with me that first time (she will remain in uk). I'm sure I read that my wife has to travel to US before or same time as me for me to enter to gain permanent residence?

Have you been through/experienced similar?

Thanks again!